Serous Retinopathy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Last year I was diagnosed with serous retinopathy, not central but in my proriforal vision. I had a small circle of gray in the bottom right section of my left eye which distorted my sight, eventually leading to a lack of vision in that area. It seems I buck the trend as the most common person to suffer from this is an elderly man and I'm a 33 year old woman! I was told this is more than likely caused by stress. At various points this year I have felt the symptoms reappear, only to disappear as quickly. Is this realistically ever going to go away or is it something that will keep returning when anxious? Also, is the problem likely to move to my central vision?

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't know where you got the elderly men idea from, unless it was my posts on this site! One of many reliable references on the subject I've found states:

" ... it tends to affect mainly young to middle age men, aged 20-45 years old."

another:

"... in women and older patients (> 50 years) CSCR may be more common than initially reported. "

Also:

- with a Type A personality (individuals who are stressed and find it hard to relax)

- who use steroid medication

- during pregnancy

- with Cushing syndrome

My understanding is that the more often you have, the length of time you have it each time and the older you are, the more likely you are to be left with a permanent problem.

My scotoma is to the upper left (of my left eye) – it seems to be at about the position the sun would have been hitting my eye while I was working in the garden, so I'm still not sure mine isn't photic.

As I've said in other posts here, I'm wondering if one can't consider it analogous to skin conditions such as psoriasis or wet eczema.

As I also understand it, serous retinopathy can too easily start occurring in your other eye, let alone different points of the same one, though I've not read of two points with it in the same eye.  Central serous retinopathy (CSR), also called central serous chorioretinopathy (CSCR), is, of course, specifically referred to in the literature.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I've got recurring CSR in both eyes (started at the left one, it damaged my central vision there, and after 3 years srated on the right one).

After lots of investigarions and paying to the top MDs I have found the solution - my  Hematolog found that I have ALPA syndrom that causes the CSR (even non of the eye doctor knew about it) - and it is very simple to solve - I am taking a daily aspirin and since then I have not had any new occurence of CSR

Try and ask your hematolog - If I knew it year before I would have saved my left eye

• Posted

Hello, I want to say to all those who are caught with this problem, that I managed to make the edema leave with the naproxen (quebec) or aleve (usa). For a year and a half I had 10 appearances, a few times in both eyes at the same time and not a lot of improvement and my ophtamo told me that I should live with but 6 months ago I started with Aspirin 81mg / day and my condition improved from week to week but with naproxen (500 mg, 2 / day, one at 12 pm) 3 or 4 days and everything disappears. Caution naproxen may irritate the stomach, think about taking a protector (pentoprazole kind).

• Posted

Hi oktav

Can you tell me if your systoms has come back or not? Can u contact you personally for more details?

Thanks so much

Sunny

• Posted

Have you heard of this helping anyone else?
  • Posted

Found easy over the counter remedy. I know this is an old post but I found something that works for me. If I can help one person, it is worth it. I started experiencing CSR really bad in my left eye. After 5 months it went away. But during that nightmare doctors couldn't help me. They said it was stress. Night driving was impossible. Then it came back a few months later and I panicked. I tried everything.... Herbals, eye drops etc. Then by luck I mixed two eye drops together one night. Next morning my eye was better. After 3 days it was gone! Now whenever I start to see some symptoms I take it again and it goes away in a day. You MUST use these two. Clear eyes Maximum Redness Relief and Visine Original. Add two drops of each into eye for a total of four drops. Try to lay back so the drops absorb into eye and don't drip out. Do it once in the morning and once at night. Do it daily until eyesight is back to normal. I'm not a doctor and I can't give medical advice but this works for me every single time. I'm not quite sure of how it works but I'm guessing it somehow stops the leak or removes the excess fluid.

• Posted

Have you heard of these things helping with anyone else?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.