Seroxat withdrawal symptoms - GP says lowest dose he can prescribe is 10mg?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking seroxat for over 20 years and am on a dose of 10mg - I want to come off it completely and reduced the dose to every other day which seemed to be ok but if I try to increase the duration to longer than one day between doses I experience withdrawal - within 12 hrs of taking another dose the symptoms stop.

The withdrawal includes feeling nauseas, light headed and severe neck and back pain.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

I have spoken to my GP but have been told the lowest dose he can prescribed is 10mg, I have tried other anti depressants but found they make me drowsy.

This doesn't seem right but I am just going round in circles with this and wondering if anyone has had the same experience and managed to get through it?

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

if you are in the UK you can get the liquid. if your gp doesn't give it to you, ask to see another gp. I'm presently on 2.8 mgs. it has a half life of 21 hours so you start to feel withdrawal pretty fast, and all those withdrawals you've described are exactly like my withdrawals and the 2 thousand people who are in the withdrawal support group in Facebook. we don't recommend skipping days due to the half life and it's up and down, but recommend a very slow taper using liquid or by splitting the tablet. if you are ok on 10mg every other day you should be able to half the tablet as they're usually scored and try 5mgs every day see how you go. your gp is not telling you the truth to say they can't prescribe less than 10 as they have to allow your taper. I am a registered nurse.

kind regards

• Posted

Thank you so much, I will have a look at the facebook group.

• Posted

presently my gp has prescribed the paroxetine liquid as reducing dose to stop. he is a very understanding gp, and on board with the discontinuation symptoms paroxetine gives you.

good luck

• Edited

Best to taper VERY VERY SLOWLY ..by about 10% each time . It should be over years cos you've been on it for so long.

Couple of good articles in the Guardian newspaper site on antidepressant withdrawal..google it.

Watch out for Akathisia....people describe it as "worse than hell" and sadly a lot of health professionals are not completely aware of it.

• Posted

I am wondering too if anyone else has got through this successfully. Yes I am suffering severe neck /back pains, nausea serious dizziness, light headedness . I feel horrendous.I really want to get off this drug now. My situation is a little different from yours as I was told I could just stop taking it . Five days later, withdrawal symptoms hit with a vengeance. I have now spent all day on Dr Google researching this and now realise that I have to withdraw slowly, so back to the start. It took approx 12 hours to feel a little better. By the time I was due for the next dose , all the withdrawl symptoms had returned tho. I am not sure what will happen tomorrow . The 5 days when I did not take this medication , my head was clearer than it has been for years, my energy level was amazing , so now I really want to get off this drug. Mentally I feel ok , physically I feel terrible, but I would like to know what else I might have to go through . I have been told by the Chemist that I can cut my tablets in halves and quarters , to go down slowly .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.