Serratia infection

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, 

I wonder if any of you have any experience with this bacteria. Five weeks ago I had a bronchoscopy and a few days after I got sick.  It was hard to get a mucus sample because the deep cough only came once or twice a day.  Eventually I was diagnosed with Serratia and started on Cipro.  After two weeks I am still having this deep cough and a low grade fever at night.  I am tired of working  around the side effects of Cipro and feeling run down.  I think I got the infection during the bronchoscopy and on top of that they did not find anything that could help the shortness of breath I wrote about before.  Have any of you had this infection and what was done for it. 

Louise

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise...I'm no help whatsoever but my consultant did say that was one of the reasons they don't like doing bronchoscopy...because of the risk of infection. Hope you feel better soon. 

Janet    

• Posted

Thanks much, Janet.  Any sign that I am not alone in this is welcome.

Louise

• Posted

Hi Louise    same here diagnosed 3 weeks ago  doc put me on cipro 500mg for 7 days    still not feeling great    Had broncoscopy in april   

Are you on any traetment for the Serriata at the moment ?

Take care   Rob

• Posted

Hi Rob,

Thank you for sharing.  Yes, I am still on the Cipro for Serratia but finishing tomorrow.  I was prescribed 500mg twice a day for two weeks.  I think I am over the infection but it is hard to tell when you are coughing up mucus anyway because of the Bx.  I had never heard of Serratia before this but it seems to be one of the newly antibiotic-resistant bugs which is especially prevalent in hospitals I read. 

I hope you feel better soon.

Louise

• Posted

HI Louise   

Hope you are on the way to recovery also.h

I think this Serrita is a rare one indeed  But my GP says its sensistive to Cipro   which means it should get better with Cipro treatment    Purely by chance it was found for me as Chest Doc dosent rate sputum specimens  He says he all gets the gunk out when he does broncoscopy     and gets all the info he needs then    i went to gp a few weeks and he asked me to leave sample in hospital lab  thats when they found the Serritta 

• Posted

Hi Rob,

I finished the Cipro last night and am already feeling better.  Being older, I am more susceptible to the side effects and my appetite is returning. On the Cipro I was feeling nauseous and bloated most of the time and had some slight nerve problems in my hands and feet.  I think I got rid of the Serratia too.  Thanks for your encouragement.

Best,

Louise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.