Sertaline

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone. I’ve finally took the plunge and decided to try sertaline to manage my anxiety and slight depression. I am apprehensive somewhat due to some people saying they had extreme side effects.

What are your thoughts on it? Do a lot of people have minimal or no side effects?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma. It sounds like you're a little bit like me. I struggle with anxiety, low key paranoia and some depression. I'm about to take the plunge with citalopram and plan to start taking it tomorrow while I'm home with my partner.

I had sertraline 50mg daily a few years ago and I can honestly say that once the initial side effects wore off, it was the best thing I ever did. For a few days (maybe about 4) I felt a bit spaced out and had a dodgy tummy but then it settled down. Another side effect I had was yawning, which I found a bit annoying so someone suggested I take it at night instead. This worked well for me. The only reason I stopped taking it was because I couldn't achieve orgasm very well and my relationship at the time was going down the pan. Silly really. I should've kept visiting my GP until we found what suited me best.

Now here I am years later and about to start back on a second round of antidepressants. I'm a little worried about the initial side effects but only because I know that I get anxious when I can feel changes in my body. I know once it settles in my system, I'll feel great again. If I have the same issues as before, my doctor has reassured me that there are other avenues to explore. She said sertraline is notorious for sexual issues in women so I didn't want to try it again.

Good luck. I'm excited for you.

• Posted

Hi thanks so much for replying, I have just heard and read so many bad things about it that I was so nervous about taking it but knowing my boyfriend would be with me (he works away can’t remember if I mentioned that) puts me a little more at ease.

It gives me so much hope that it worked for you, I hope you get on well with the new medication. Tbh sex wise i couldn’t care at the minute I just wanna feel myself again haha

• Posted

Let us know when you start them and how you get on 😊

• Edited

i started taking sertraline in august for anxiety/ depression/ ocd symptoms and it was the best decision i ever made. the first few weeks were rough with increased anxiety, numbness, nausea and a shaky jaw. these side effects subsided after a few weeks and the only one i still experience is the shaky jaw. my libido has stayed the same and while ive experienced slight weight gain, it's not more than a healthy amount. my anxiety is so much more manageable than before and sertraline has changed my life for the better 😃

• Posted

hi Emma

I'm on week 3 Zoloft 100 mg , side effects are overwhelming me , but i know its worth while ,as the end results will be appreciation what I've got in life, what's your take, hopefully as I'm 59 years old its taking me longer you as a younger more energetic person will see benefits sooner.

good luck

well done overcoming fear of meds

• Posted

ive just been prescribed this today, i have taken one 50mg tablet. i was so worried to take it as i feel so anxious about what might happen. i took the plunge and took it because im fed up of feeling like this, but do feel so anxious about side effects and how they might make me feel. heard lots of people saying it can get worse before better. Hope they are ok for you x

• Posted

The side effects of Sertraline were far outweighed by how much better I felt after a few weeks. Absolutely worth it. Stick with it, try not to worry too much. You've felt bad enough to dive into the world of SSRIs so you're well equipped to deal with a few more shaky weeks. You've got this.

• Posted

thank you, i took my first dose last night and woke up at 2am feeling really sick, shaky, fidgety and just really panicked so couldnt sleep all night. ive felt awful today, feeling sick and loss of appetite. really hoping it doesnt last too long i couldnt even make it into work today.

thanks for your reply x

• Posted

Hi,

I have been using Sertraline for about 2 years now, the main side effect I have noticed is excessing sweating and dehydration. Unfortunately, however it does not appear to have eased my anxiety symptoms either - I still suffer from head pressure / brain fog / dizziness with a stiff neck. One problem I have noticed is that if you suddenly stop using there are some strange side effects such as brain zaps - I think you need to go through this with your Doctor before start using.

• Posted

When i went on it the first time i was fine and no side effects. I tapered off and it took months.

I then went back on it after about 6 months and it made me feel horrible right away, bad stomach issues and couldn't eat.

• Posted

hi Emma

I'm back on sertraline 100mg its week 3 and personally im struggling with my depression.

It affects people in different ways , but they are good anti depressant if you give it time.

how are you coping ? i will continue and plan to review with gp afer week 8.

Remember the drug is interacting with chemicals in the brain. so please stay positive and ride the storm ,

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.