Sertaline withdrawal,what are the symptoms? does everyone get them?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi im coming off sertraline. I have been on it for just over 2 years! Ive reduced from 200mg to 50. Its been a slow process. I just wondered what the withdrawal symptoms are.

Im feeling very tired and light headed and a little dizzy/spaced out. Is this normal?

How long does this feeling last?

I never even knew you could have withdrawal until I joined this site a few days ago

So I am looking for everyones experiences with it and if would like to know if what im feeling is normal

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if you have done it with guidance from a gp you should be ok, especially as you have done it slowly. I am tapering off from 100 to 50 and its been tough to say the least. Withdrawal symptoms can last a while according to my gp. Mine have been - dizziness,anxiety, brain and body zaps (like mild electric shock) shaking and weakness. I will persevere, because I want to see how I go without them. But I must reiterate... I'm doing it under the supervision of my gp and CMHT. Good luck with it 😊
  • Posted

Hello!Yes they are similar side effects to withdrawal from Citralphram.It will be a few weeks before they go but they will ease up.If you feel too anxious do keep in touch with your gp & do not see it as a failure if it takes longer to reduce.
  • Posted

Hi there

I'm coming off it at moment only taken for 5 weeks. Last week I went from 50mg to 25mg with no problem. Unless the virus (nausea, stomach ache & vomiting) my dr diagnosed was in fact side effects? From today I'm taking 25mg every other day. Dr said for a week then stop. Will see what happens bit nervous but getting some grapefruit juice as they say don't drink it on sertraline thought might help when I've stopped completely think will chat to pharmacist about it too. Also getting nuts & seeds for all the good stuff in them & hope helps I really don't want to suffer.

Good luck everyone that's stopping

J

• Posted

Hi everyone I am coming on here a little late but hopefully someone is still checking...I was on zoloft for approximately 4 years at 50ml. At the time I went on this I was going through a lot with my daughter and her issues. They did get better somewhat but life is really not so black and white. I have adopted my two grandsons who are now 10 and 7 and had a couple of major spinal surgereries which I lost most of the use of my leg, I canhandle all of this at least I think I can so I decided about two months ago to wean myself off. I thought all my side effects was stress, weight gain and vertigo. But after reading some of these post I think it was all from coming off of the zoloft. I have been off from it completely for about two weeks and was very careful not to wean off quickly. The feeling like I am going to pass out has almost stopped but I feel like crying and keep snapping at the kids and very very irritated....will this too go away? I am usually very friendly but I am starting to take everything personal...any advice on what to do...oh and I am on lyrica for my nerve problems also...note I also posted this on a related topic...thanks
  • Posted

I went from 40g Citraphlam to 10! over ten days then week of 10g then.none!.I was supposed to have a four day break then start Sertoline 25g for a week & up it to 50g.I decided due to side effects from Citra to stay off meds (A rash decision) I stayed med free fir seven weeks & had headaches,tummy pains,irrirable mood swings & feeling wobbly & dizzy.I went in the end to my gp feeling a failure but I went back on 25g Sertoline for a week then Ive started 50g Sertoline have done for three weeks.I still feel terribly low & my gp advised it will take six weeks minimum for the meds to get in.my system.We aim to up my dosage next week to 100. Yes you will feel wobbly for a few weeks more.Did you decide to wean yourself off? I chose to act too quickly & suffered seven weeks of angst needlessly.Do go to see your gp you are going through a lot of changes & stress with your new responsibilites.I have the thoughts better to feel less anger,agaitation on tablets then try & prove I don't need them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.