Sertraline - 2 weeks, feel really strange, low and up and down moods. UGH

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 

I am a 23 year old female and I suffer from bad anxiety and panic and on and off depression. I am currently taking 50mg Sertraline which my GP prescribed for me. I have been on it for just under 2 weeks...the first few days were awful, I was so tired and had awful headaches. However, the third and fourth day I picked up and began to feel quite good. (I read though that the tablet couldn't possibly work that quickly though so it may have been a placebo effect) Anyway... I was previously on prozac before this for 3 weeks and it made me feel so awful I came off it. I haven't been feeling quite as bad on sertraline, most of the side effects have been physical (dizzyness, extreme fatigue, blurry sight and headache) but just in the last few days I feel my anxiety has gotten worse and I have been getting palipatations. I also have these awful up and down moods, one minute I feel so low and depressed, next minute I just feel numb and then I feel really anxious and like I just can't cope. It's so horrible. I am basically writing this as i'd like to hear other peoples experiences and stories about being on this medication and to let me know if they felt the same way I do now, after 2 weeks. Does it really get any better? Maybe I'm not being patient enough.

Thanks in advance

Catherine 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi

You need to give the med more time to work from what I've read on this forum it can take between 4 and. 8 week to kick in everyone's diffrent I know it's hard but try you best to stick with it hopefully thing sould level out soon the ups and down are normal at the start they sould get better over time if u need anymore advice don't hesitate to message me x

• Posted

Hi Don45258,

Thanks for your reply. I know, my doctor said it can take upto 4 weeks...but since then i have read on these forums that for some people it takes upto 8 weeks. I am going to try and stick with it as its nowhere near as bad as the side effects I got from taking Prozac. X

• Posted

Hi hun I've been on sertraline increase from 100 to 150mgs for 16 days now still feel anxious and can't sleep or eat very well and feel very tearful just want to feel better fed up now
    • Posted

Hi Tracey,

Thankyou for your reply. Omg i know its horrible. It really does make you feel fed up. I'm just clinging on to the fact that the doctor said it can take upto 4 weeks to properly kick in and work. Its just such a hellish process having to go through all the side effects when you don't even know if its gonna work for you. I really hope you start to feel better soon!! X

• Posted

Hi Catherine it is horrible I go to bed every night thinking will wake up better in morning but dosnt happen just want it to hurry up and work do u still have anxiety as well x
    • Posted

Hi hun how u doing today I've just gone done the food shop got bk now got high anxiety and I'm indoors drives me mad x
    • Posted

Hi Tracey, oh i know i'm just the same... every day i think 'will tomorrow be the day i begin to feel better.' And yeah i do, Friday just gone was really bad with the anxiety, felt like i was going crazy in my head and i had the worst headache. I keep getting tempted to just stop taking it because the side effects are so bad but i'm trying to stick with it in the hope it begins to help me. However, yesterday and today hasn't been quite so bad...i have taken 25mg so half of what i was prescribed to see if that lessens the side effects. Maybe thats helped. Well at least you went to the shops.. in the past week ive felt quite low and didnt even feel like going out. The anxiety is just awful though, i dont know what to do with myself when its really bad. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Catherine I'm on day 18 of increase from 100 to 150 just wish the anxiety would go away yesterday wasn't to bad today just don't know what to do with myself can't sit still but don't want to do anything can't eat xx
    • Posted

Hi

I've just upped to 100 2 days ago wake in a morning down and feel a bit off my head did you get this at the start and does it go ?

Thanks

• Posted

I'm on 150 I wake in the morning with anxiety in my chest and tummy and a foggy head day 18 now of increase still don't feel me yet
  • Posted

Hi hun how u feeling now I'm not having a good day today just can't switch off do u find u can't relax even at home x
    • Posted

Don't know really just keep thinking why do I feel anxious and will it ever go away so I can feel me again what do u think
    • Posted

I think will I ever get better and about going to work with this anxitey and are these tablets going to work what gets me is I've tried lots of meds I've had cbt counciling Hypnotherpy I've been exsersising and still not better
    • Posted

Same here when I had a nervous breakdown a long time ago tried everything but sertraline worked for me bk then did take abt 4 mths to work though I know I don't want to go to work tomorrow
    • Posted

I don't want to go but force myself I would feel worse sat at home doing nothing have u tried cbt ?
    • Posted

Years ago I did but this time Rd not my fault I'm having this set bk docs gave me wrong tablets now sent my head all over the place
    • Posted

Wrong tablets how did they do that ? What tablets did they give u ?
    • Posted

He's been my doc for over 24 yrs and was suppose to give me my sertraline but gave me hormone replacement tablets that u would give a woman that's had an hysterectomy I didn't check cause have taken sertraline for so many yrs and cause I'm not even going through the change let alone a hysterectomy sent my hormones haywire so sent me into panic attacks
    • Posted

That's bad you sould sue him for what he's put you trough how long ago was that ?
    • Posted

I started taking them they end of June and started feeling strange after a couple days but was so busy at work its was 21 days I took them for so now there coming out my system and flipping sertraline going in arrrr my head like a ping pong ball

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.