Sertraline 25mg building up

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys. 

I was prescribed 50mg of sertraline, but after lots of reading on the internet I saw that some people start on 25mg and build up to help with the side effects. 

Day 1 and 2 I took 25mg, day 3 I took 37.5mg. 

I want to take 50mg but do you think I should take a few more days at 37.5mg before going up again? Or just take 50mg tomorrow then stay at 50mg until I see my doctor again? 

Thank you 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Depends, how have you been feeling on It? I had side effects on 25mg tmso stuck with it for a couple of weeks, I then started 50mg 13 days ago. I tried 50mg after 5 days and felt rubbish soon went back down
    • Posted

I didn’t have any side effects on 25, feel a bit spaced out on 37.5. I was just more worried about whether building up too quickly could possibly do some damage? 
    • Posted

I wouldn't have thought so as many do start off on 50mg, it can increase anxiety though which is why those with anxiety often start at 25mg to reduce symptoms

• Posted

I would agree with Kerry, I had significantly increased anxiety even on 25mg, tried to go up to 50mg a couple of times but had to come back down as the anxiety was too much. Have managed to be on 50mg for a couple of weeks now. If you're not having too much trouble you can always try 50mg & come back down if you have to.

• Posted

Been 10 weeks now for me and my doc put me on starting dose of 25 mg the symptoms after 3 weeks started which I hatered especially the heightened anxiety.. 

I started feeling a bit better and have decided to just stay on a low dose

Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.