Sertraline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Has anyone taken sertraline before, 50mg?

my gp prescribed it for depersonalization/derealization. I had such a bad reaction after taking citolopram in October. I only took it over two days and it sent me on what I can only describe as a bad lsd trip, that lasted nearly 24 hours!!! I'm not fussed about feeling sick or dizzy or sweaty etc, just would love to hear positive feedback!! Is 50mg a really high dose? It just seems so high!!

Thank you 😀

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I only took the one for my depression/anxiety,but decided not to continue it afterwards as i didn't like how they made me feel personally.I did feel spaced out and not alot of sleep,but i wasn't getting alot of sleep anyway.that was only after one and maybe i just reacted to it quicker or something.sorry it's not really a positive.
  • Posted

Hi Leopard,

I'm on 50mg of Sertraline now and Ive been on it for 1 week. My side effects have been pretty severe, dizziness, nausea, migraines, feeling really week and I've lost all motivation to do anything along with 1 stone of weight.

I think your experiences are quite normal and 50mg isn't a high dose. Most people start on 50mg then go up incrementally to around 150mg

Have you had any side effects?

Ashley

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't actually started it yet, I will begin taking it tomorrow. Obviously, i'm nervous about taking this medication due to the bad citolopram reaction, which was unbelievable!!

I wrote about the dosage because citolopram etc usually are 10 mg & 20mg, so just wondered why the sertraline begins at 50! How are you feeling mentally?

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't actually started it yet, I will begin taking it tomorrow. Obviously, i'm nervous about taking this medication due to the bad citolopram reaction, which was unbelievable!!

I wrote about the dosage because citolopram etc usually are 10 mg & 20mg, so just wondered why the sertraline begins at 50! How are you feeling mentally?

• Posted

Yeah I had a really bad spell on mirtazapine that's why I've changed over so I know your pain!

I suppose these things take time to work but I've not felt that great however you maybe lucky and not have any side affects.

I'm just getting headaches, dizziness and finding it hard to motivate myself. I would say my mental state is okay, but it would be loads better if I could motivate myself to get some mental stimulation!

Ashley

• Posted

Hi Leopard

I have nothing really to add to the two kind replies you have already received, except to confirm that 50mg is not a particularly high dose, which was your main question.

My dose is 200mg daily as one dose and I feel no side-effects that I can definitively put down to Sertraline. Now, having said all that, we are all unique, and what suits me, may not suit someone else even though their medical problem is identical.

So, in summary, your dose is not high, and side-effects are a subjective matter apart from commonly reported ones that will be listed on your patient information leaflet.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi I had an allergic reactin to Sertraline so can cause problems I think dose seems normal good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.