Sertraline 50mg

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, been to GP and confirmed health anxiety, anxiety and depression. So many traumas lately but have been sitting reading all the side effects and so now am terrified to take it. Don't know what to do as don't want to feel like this anymore - I'm stuck in torment and don't know what do do. Any positives with this drug anyone please? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Lou I am sorry your feeling like this and I don't have the answers. I haven't taken this drug myself either, just wanted you to know that I have been thinking about you recently. I hope someone can help you shortly with relatio to this drug.

Elizabeth xx

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear that! It's a tough choice you have to make. I would start taking HALF OF THE DOSE of the the pills prescribed first to see if you feel any of the side effects. If you do stop taking them and tell your doctor. Clonopin is one of the BEST anti anxiety meds out there that has viritually no side effects and is non addictive. It's an older drug that got prescribed for me when I was in the psych. hospital. it saved my life and now I am anxiety free. I was able to stop taking the meds when I got control of my thoughts    
  • Posted

Hi

I have been on sertraline 50mgs on n off for the last 2 years.

At first I did have horrible sickness, dizziness, tiredness n a few other symptoms.

Eventually they do disappear n then all of a sudden u realise that ur anxiety isn't half as bad as it was but u do have to persevere with them as u do feel worse before you start to feel any better.

• Posted

Thank you for reply it was very helpful, that's what I'm afraid of the feeling worse than I do already - seems like this drug is popular in situations like mine but like you say the side effects are scary. Maybe half a tablet as you suggested - finding no joy in anything right now and it's so debilitating along with no sleep it's all so exhausting , thank you for help x
  • Posted

I also only took 25 mgs of the tablet but did one in the morning n then one at night. Then started dropping down to just 25 mg a day n now I'm on 25mg every other day.

This is after being on them since March.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Meds mask the problem. Try CBT or counselling before you give in to the meds.

I've had severe panic disorder to the point I couldn't leave the house and I dissed the meds and took CBT instead. I'm over the worst now!

• Posted

Thank you for help and advice but I need a quick fix so to speak, not sure if counselling would do that - too many traumas I need to block out and need to take the edge off to be able to cope as not sleeping and when I do the nightmares wake me up and the cycle continues, but I do appreciate your welcome thoughts and help x
  • Posted

Hey Lou, I've just started Sertraline and though it's only been a few days, I have had no side effects - I felt a bit spaced out at onbe point but, that is a common sensation for me anyway. Sertraline is very well received by most patients so, hopefully you will be absolutely fine!
    • Posted

*one
    • Posted

Thank you for that I'm so pleased you have had no nasty side effects, I feel spaced out aswell every day, day in day out almost like a huge hangover it's horrible. Gonna find courage to take them but I think I will take half a tab to start with and see what happens x
    • Posted

A friend of mine is also on 50mg of Sertraline and other than dry mouth on the second night of starting them, he had no adverse effects either smile fingers crossed you will be totally fine on them. Yeah, if you're feeling worried then it's best to start off smaller and build it up. Good luck! smile x
    • Posted

Thank you very much for reply - am happy that the side effects don't seem that bad, I think I could cope with that. Had blood tests this morning that totally freaked me out , took over an hour for something that should take five minutes, nurse said same to get moving and just take them, - do you think 50mg is quite a low dose ? Forgot to ask doctor x thank you, I ha e to go back in two weeks and she is expecting an improvement, pathetic that I can't even swallow a tiny tablet, must try and get a grip x
    • Posted

Oh wow! Blood tests always freak me out anyway! No good with needles! 

Honestly, the vast majority get no or very mild side effects and these only last a small amount of time anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is probably best to just bite the bullet and start them but, I understand your apprehension! I was scared to actually get going and take the tablet when I was prescribed them, but I'm glad I'm on it now because it's the start of a (hopefully) improvement! 

They always start you on the lowest dose they think that can help you, I think especially where depression/anxiety is concerned it seems that the vast majority are started on 50mg and it's taken up when/if needed and that usually goes all the way to about 200mg. 

Just set your own goal, don't worry about the Dr, say to yourself that as long as you have taken the first pill by the time you see your dr that is enough, often it will take 2 to 4 weeks (sometimes even 6 weeks) for the medication to kick in anyway! So don't worry about your doctor expecting for things to be much different by the next time you see her. 

You can do it! 

• Posted

Yes thank you I know you are right in my rational mind , I will start this evening if I can manage something to eat - havnt managed any food since last Friday as my beautiful Grandmother passed away and ontop of everything else it's tipped me over the edge and I need to be strong for my mum and my daughters . It's all too much and not sure how to even eat any more as all food makes me feel sick, the sight and thought of it turns my stomach even more - admittedly feeling so weak and wobbly right now, havnt been to work and can't deal with simple things . I'm not wanting to wallow in self pity I really really don't but finding things difficult wondering what my brain is making me feel and it sort of feels like it's closing everything off. Nurse today said to try half a banana this evening so I will have to force myself - head aches so much x
    • Posted

Aw no! I am so sorry to hear that! sad 

Remember, although it's great that you want to be there for your family, don't forget about yourself! It sounds like maybe you do actually need these AD's now more than ever, try and eat something, just something light will be fine, like you said, a bit of a banana or a bit of soup, anything you can! 

It sounds like you are having a very rough time at the minute and it's no wonder that you feel so low sad definitely try the pills, they may bring your appetite back a bit as well and if you're eating properly then your body will thank you, which in turn will help your mind. x

• Posted

Yes it all makes sense and I have to eat, will try a little later - thank you. It's helps so much having people here like your lovely self to talk too, people who have been there done that so to speak, it helps a lot - thank you. To get rid of the headache that's been there all week would be good, but BP fine had that checked yesterday which was bearable, so it's just major major stress. Thanks for being there x
    • Posted

It helps massively having these forums, the people here are all very empathetic and supportive. And often, I find it's just nice to be able to talk to people who genuinely understand what you're going through, who can offer good, constructive advice smile 

I'm very glad it's helped you smile 

Don't push yourself too hard but definitely get some food down you and see where you go from there, I really hope you get yourself on track soon, you're doing really well so far! Keep going! x

• Posted

Thank you so much - I have actually managed to eat a couple of spoonfuls of diced pear, not much but it's a start - am gearing myself up to try a small potato later as I'm worried about taking my first tablet on an empty stomach. When I do hubby's dinner later I will take a small potato out of the pan for me and see how I go from there - the thought of it really makes me want to turn my head away but I will do it as its bland and shouldn't upset me too much, it's strange how your tummy feels when it's been empty for so long - also feel bad as my Nans no longer here to enjoy anything to eat and she loved her food, bless her darling heart. Thank you for helping me find a little courage to take a tiny step forward x
    • Posted

That's great! 

Eating anything at this point is going to help, a potato is actually a really good idea as, though it may be small, it should raise your energy a bit. And I agree it's best to take the tablet after eating something. Just keep taking things one step at a time. Tastes and smells can be powerful in evoking memories, you probably don't feel like it now but one day, eating the foods your nan loved and lovingly prepared will take you right back in time to those precious moments and she will live on in your memory and the memory of others forever x 

Small steps is the way forward! smile x

• Posted

Thank you yes, crying again and feel sick - just comes in massive waves of memories that hurt so much, one minute I can breathe and the next I cant x
    • Posted

It will take time, the pain never completely goes away but things will get easier, I promise. Keep on fighting! x
    • Posted

Have taken first tablet ! Anxious xx
    • Posted

So glad you have taken it Lou! smile Hopefully it will do you some good xx
    • Posted

Hello Lou I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Nausea and not eating is one of the most distressing affects of anxiety for me! You know you have to eat to live! I hate losing weight!  I eat in front of the telly to try and take my mind off what I'm doing. Eat whatever and whenever you can. I personally use complan. You may know of it. It's supposed to be nutritious with vitamins and minerals. We would hope this doesn't last forever! Get better soon. E.
    • Posted

Hello Elizabeth thank you. I can hardly eat - since last Friday small portion fruit, yogurt and today slice of toast that made me sick, I have to try as now have to take these pills. Am peaking bad with racing heart and health anxiety in overdrive. All kicked off so bad since last week - really struggling with this. GP said BP ok 140 over 80, heart ok - couldn't let her do anything else. Freaked out with blood tests Friday had panic attack, horrible horrible , sitting here with heart banging away am trying to breathe one two three in and seven seconds out, this is so hard, want to be in control but brain won't let me
    • Posted

think my post was blocked because I mentioned a book!!!! What I was saying I read was to FLOAT with symtoms not fight them. The word float in itself is a much gentler word than fight. Sooooooo instead of trying to control your breathing try and float with it as it is and it MAY calm down. Has worked for me before. Not always though. I sometimes say to myself "bring it on. Anxiety do your worst" in others words ...stuff it!!! Give in and FLOAT along with it. E.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.