sertraline 50mg after 7 weeks side effects and muscle/ joint/ chest pain and tight jaw!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I have been on zoloft/ sertraline for 7 weeks now (50mg) for stress/ work related anxiety and tension and i was starting to feel better. This week though my side effects have returned- tight and painful jaw, yawning, tight knees and painful joints, muscles and chest pain and heartburn. I am getting frustrated- can anyone relate to this and does it get better? x Thanks

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Jen I thought I was crazy. I increase mine Zoloft from 25 to 50 and I started getting chest pain and a lot of muscle aches in my center my back. That was last January. I backed off the 25 mg for the summer. But now I have to go back up. And try 50 mg again. I’m going up slow I’m at 37.5 now. They tell me the symptoms will go away. And the only stress related. I still go to the gym every other day and walk at least a mile to a mile and a half on the days I’m not at the gym. my problem is really not anxiety it’s depression. So I’m hoping this will bring me out of that funk. Just know that you’re not alone we’re all here for each other. Always stay in the present moment be mindful of where you’re at and what you’re doing. Once you start worrying about the future anxiety comes on.

• Posted

Thank you for this!

i too exercise a lot and walk miles every day and im on it for stress from work and i am getting frustrated and low with these side effects especially the chest and back! my knees too its making the gym a lot harder! x

• Posted

Jen it really does suck. But hopefully within the next couple days to maybe a week more if you start feeling better. All medication I’ve been taking in the past always takes at least 6 to 8 weeks to see some results. And the side effects usually dissipate after while. I pray you and me can get past the side effects. And get back to just living life. I just increased to 37.5 last night and I’m already getting jitters. But I know it’s just temporary and once the chemicals balanced out I’ll start to feel better again. God bless and good luck God did not put it on his earth to fail. Just think of it as a huge test. And we will ace it at the end. I’ve been doing a lot of meditation for mindfulness. Go onto YouTube and find some guided meditations that may help you in your situation.

• Posted

Thank you

I hope it works for you too.I've never suffered with depression but i did have an eating disorder when i was younger so the desire to be in control and 'perfect' has always been there and i dont normally display weakness or ask for help

i'm head of dept in a secondary school and last year my whole dept was signed off for various reasons and i held it together.Summer holidays i felt strange and was diagnosed with stress and anxiety as a result.Now i wont let it get to me and prioritise myself more and my own mental health.I exercise for stress relief and get outside when i can

i've never taken meds and at 38 i've reached a point where ive said enough,i cant do it alone!

• Posted

I work in a hospital and always under pressure that mainly I put on myself. Yet a couple years ago I lost 3 loved ones in less that 6 months. Changed job and houses while all this was going on. My mind just could not handle it. Ended in hospital for a couple days got my head clear. I've been bouncing on multiple SSRI's I pray this one will work for me. Never give up keep moving forward, and exercise is a must. God bless you

• Posted

i admire anyone who works in a hospital-you must see everything and be under pressure constantly.Are you in the UK?

That would be a lot for anyone to deal with.Stay strong-do you have a support network of friends and family?

• Posted

Hello Jen how are you feeling? Have you been leveled yet?

Thank you

Kind regards

B,

• Posted

I"m on 50mg and nearly at the end of Wk4. The only side effect now is tight jaw, all the anxiety and sadness has gone. Just worried about when I know when to come off it? When do we know we're ready to come off it? I am taking it as I haven't been coping after the loss of my Mum.

• Posted

Hi Jen I was on sertraline for 5 weeks and had to come off then due to side effects mainly chest pains \ shortness of breath but that was just a coulpe - I was on 50mg but my side effects were getting worse overtime not better guess some people just ain`t suited to this med.

Been off for over a week now and tbh still feel crap - stomach upsets - severe heart burn \ chest pains \ basically ache all over and get out of breath quickly - no energy the list goes on just hoping they will fade in time as my body clears itself of this drug - if i had been made fully aware by my doc that these side effects could occur and there not rare as the information states i`d have never started them after all we take them to feel alittle better not to make our symptoms worse

But see your doc before stopping Jen I did and was advised to stop them - all the best

Mark

• Posted

Hi wonder if you can help.

i read your post and that you had stopped taking the sertraline, could you tell me how long it has taken for any side effects to go.

I had been taking them for 18 days but felt terrible, spaced out, joint aches, leg cramps with strange spasms, head pains etc.

I have never felt like this in all my life, i only took them cause my gp thought it would be a good idea as i had gone through a couple of health issues, but i feel worse than ever.

Thanks in advance

• Posted

Hi Miller I've been off sertaline nearly 4 weeks now and still getting alot of issues alot which I didn't have before. Ranging from chest pains, aches in joints, headaches, shortness of breath, stomach issues and if anything it has increased my anxiety so fed up of feeling crap now. I stayed on sertaline for 6 weeks at 50mg and the side effects got worse not better and saw no improvement so doc advised me to stop. But you best consult your doctor first I just could not stand the side effects no longer I was confined to bed most of the time and that's not a life. All the best cheers Mark

• Posted

Hi,

everyone seems to react totally differently, it seems.

I was on 50mg per day for 4 weeks , tuen took 25mg (split in half) for one week, then none for a week. I have none of the nasty symptoms and feel sooo much better. I told my GP and she respected how I felt. I bought on Amazon , Vit D supplements and they seem to be helping with low mood.

I was so scared about coming off them , but I just hated not being in control of who I am. They did help me alot, gave me a break of feeling so down for a couple of weeks. I was just scared in case I became totally dependable on them.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply.

yea i have spoken to gp today, explained how i was feeling, she said i could stop taking them but she was reluctant in saying that they could make me feel the way i do, best to stop and see.

I don't feel this way for nothing.

Can i ask is it like stabbing pain in your head ?., and do you get like tingles in your legs, sorry i know a strange question,sorry for going on just its freaking me out.

I agree its no life, this is just not me .

Thanks

• Posted

Hi and yes to them 2 symptoms quite common apparently plus loads of other side effects which they claim are rare but they aint that rare according to alot of forums I just wish the doc would have explained these symptoms could occur Id have thought twice about taking them after all we take meds to improve our well being not make it worse :0( cheers

• Posted

Hi Milly and yes I agree some people can tolerate them and they seem to help them through which is good :0) but also alot of people are not suitable and it makes them worse which aint good :0( guess its trial and error but its not a good process :0( All the best Mark

• Posted

Dizzy , im so dizzy , song comes to mind lol, horrible feeling .

Just don't know how long they take to get out of system.

• Posted

Most say a couple of days but Im not convinced been 4 weeks and I dont feel right as yet but everyone is different so you might be lucky :0) All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.