Sertraline 50mg day 4. Awful side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was prescribed Sertraline by my GP last Friday and have taken them daily for the past 4 days. I've never felt so ill in my life, I feel constantly nauseous, have permanent tummy ache, can't eat or sleep, my jaw feels clamped shut and I'm experiencing shakes and sweats.

I haven't been on anti-d's for 4 years but recent life challenges have seen me plummet. I was on 150mg Venlafaxine in the past and never had any side effects. I'm really concerned about continuing. The GP wants to see me in 10 days. I'm not so sure I can continue with this medication.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jay It will take a whle to get into your system. They are not the greatest for making u feel ill, but keep going.
  • Posted

Hi this normal when first starting this med takes a good few weeks to settle down
  • Posted

Thank you for the replies Natalie and Don. I'm feeling very edgy and wired too, have a undescribable dread feeling and my brain feels like it's bobbing about in a goldfish bowl. My eye feel like mill wheels too.
  • Posted

did the doc give u anything to take the edge off I had diazapam for 2 weeks to help. I HATE talking tablets but these did help.
    • Posted

He gave me Olanzapine but told me not to take them for 2 weeks. So even though I have the tablets I can't start the course until my next GP appointment. I want to question him about these particular pills though as I read the enclosed leaflet and they are used for treating bipolar disorders and I'm not bipolar just suffering from depression and anxiety.
  • Posted

I've just had 13 awful days on sertraline waking up at 4am agitated and anxious sick to my stomach it had been like this all 13 days been to docs today and she says should have been some improvement even Valium along with it hadn't calmed me down so she thinks they don't suit me although they can take 6-8 weeks to work but after 2 weeks shud be a big better so she's put me back on citalapram which I've had b4 with no side effects
    • Posted

It's not good is it Sarah, at least your GP has helped. I'm going to try and stick it out until my next appointment but am refusing to take the bipolar meds as I know I don't need them. I just need to get through this black patch and find me again. I hope you're feeling better on the Citalopram.
    • Posted

I can't start it until tomorrow because already taken sertraline today so expecting to wake up in same state tomorrow last time on citalapram I had no side effects so hoping the horrendous ones from sertraline go away
  • Posted

Hi Jay. I had the same side effects when I first started taking sertraline. Please stick with it. It gets better I promiSe! I felt on edge which was the worst side effect, like the one you stated. I was prescribed xanax to help with that. It took me two weeks to start feeling better and I am so glad I stuck with it. If you need to talk just send a message any time!
  • Posted

Hi Jay, give it time. I have been on Sertraline for 6 weeks now, and like all medication it takes time and comes with some side effects, I know it happened to me to with the Nauseeous, it will eventually disappear, amongst other side effects. I suffered 9 months off hell before I started ths medication, and abit concerned about it?. But now I'm on it I do feel a lot better in myself. Just give it time. Good luck.
  • Posted

My side effects were horrendous I missed one day sparked out on the couch for two weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.