Sertraline 6 weeks in

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my husband is almost at 6 weeks of Sertraline 50mg . At week 3-4 I could see a real improvement like the tablets were starting to work but the last 10 days not so and in particular the couple of days very teary something he hasn't really done before and low almost depressed . Has anybody else had this . We see the doctor again in 2 days

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello, same thing happened to me when i started on 50mg to treat my anxiety and depression. Basically my doctor perscribed 100mg and i started talking to a therapist.
    • Posted

Thanks for you reply he's seen a therapist since January but doesn't seem to be working to be honest ! He's been good last few days Just mornings that are terrible . Seeing doctor tomorrow night . How many weeks are you on now ??

• Posted

Hello! Your husband is very lucky tohave you inhis life. Depression is hard on the person suffering and also on all those who care about them; your patience & observations will be helpul indeed. -- It's good you see the doctor again soon. Keep an eye on your husband, keep track of moods and possible triggers. You didn;t mention if he is on any other Rx's; often there are interactions between meds. Even if the drug anufacturers don't mention it, a search online will be informative. Also: dosage may be one aspect of the issue (see this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2464814/ ) but it is known that adjusting to the meds can be harder for some than for others.Also-- deprssion is not only a problem itself; it is often a symptom of another issue, such as poor thyroid function or early-onset of Parkinson's. Do push for tests and be an advocate for your husband; he needs your support during this time. Good luck!

• Posted

Yes, this is normal. The initial stage of recovery is very uneven. Hang in there. Once the med stabilize in another month or do he will be fine. Also it seems this med treats anxiety quicker than depression. 
  • Posted

Hi.

i had that but it was with the side effect, I'm on my 8th week and the past few days iv felt a lot better, this could be the same for your husbands feeling low. 

It takes time for it to get into our system, so please don't give up, 

he will have good days and bad for the first few weeks, then the good out weigh the bad. 

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Julie what is your dose of you don't mind me asking ?

• Posted

Hi

I'm on 25mg, but I'm very sensetive to medication,

So I'm staying at this for the time being because it's taken me a

a long time for the side effects to subside,

Week 6 I felt poorly last week I was low and teary

But last few days I feel like my ld self again

It's still early days yet, but it will get better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.