Sertraline

Posted , 6 users are following.

so im about to start my 2nd week of sertraline. Im in hell, anxiety levels are through the roof panic attacks suicidal thoughts feeling hopeless. Anyone else feeling like that or been through this i feel to give up taking them.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Take a second opinion from a competent pyschiatrist.

Some changes in the medications might help you.

Good luck.

• Posted

Gave up after 5 days as the symptoms were so bad just wanted to off myself everyday and was gagging all the time. anxiety through the roof, not a wink of sleep. I havent got 4-5 weeks in me of that. But talk to your doc about what your experiencing.

• Posted

thank you both for your replies. My gp ringing me today for a 2 week review. i just feel so lost and dont know how to deal with this anxiety its bloody awful.

• Posted

I have been on sertraline for a month and the first couple of weeks were hell. I feel better now but i still get anxiety and ocd symptoms, I have good days and bad days. Overall, I feel better now than I felt the first 2 weeks. My appetite is still very poor and

• Posted

i feel the same. anxious intrusive thoughts cant eat its awful. its worth sticking it out you think?

• Posted

Shellie,

I was on this medicine 8 years ago and as far as I could remember, it took a while for my obsessive thoughts to go away. I mean, just like now, I had good days and bad days, my appetite was always related to my anxiety level, the higher the anxiety, the lower the appetite.

Last night was kind of rough, very vivid dreams that woke me up at 3:30 am and could not go back to sleep anymore. I then started getting the intrusive scary thoughts (mine are health anxiety related), almost a panic attack. I went to work and was able to function ok, although i still had the intrusive thoughts now and then. Since many people here say it takes about 2 months for the medication yo kick in and see a difference, I will probably stick with it.

Did you talk to your doctor? What did he say?

• Posted

i so can relate too you on so many levels. The doctor rang asked me to ho to ghe surgery as i was having a panic attack on the phone. As ive tried to od before she called the crisis team they called me last night. I now have no clue as to whats going on only the prescribing me another load of tablets anxiety meds and sleeping pills! This is awful i feel the lowest ive been in a very long time. They now talking about switching sertraline to olanzipine. My intrusive thoughts are crazy. Are you continuing with the sertraline? I hope you soon feel better be strong

• Posted

I am continuing with sertraline and have a review with my doctor in 2 weeks. I also booked a counseling session with a therapist but the earliest is on mid-July. The thing is I had some improvements for sure, but I still have bad days too. Many people including the doctors say to allow the full 2-3 months for the medication to really kick in . The intrusive thoughts are bothering me the most and read that sertraline takes about 3 months to eliminate these thoughts. I believe that being way too aware of my thoughts, body sensations escalates my anxiety and fosters the scary obsessive thoughts. I hope you will feel better soon and please know that I am here to support you.

• Edited

Some of these antidepressants and other pharmaceuticals have terrible side effects. I would talk to the doctor who prescribed it. If it gives you so much anxiety I understand how that would be upsetting. Having an anxiety disorder myself, I can see how that would be upsetting.

• Posted

Hi, I suffer from health anxiety and have just finished my third week on the lowest dose of sertraline. i don't get too many side effects and the first two weeks I felt a bit of improvement until today. i am having panic attacks, feel like I am dying. I almost convinced myself of coming off the meds. But reading the comments make me feel that it is just a setback and I can manage and feel relief in the end. I hope you can make it too. Just remember you are safe and not alone. And for panic attacks I started watching panic free TV. Really helpful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.