Sertraline advice?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been depressed for a few years on and off. It got worse a few weeks ago so my doc put me on sertraline 50mg (Lustral). I had a lot of side effects but stuck with it in hope it would get better, I am feeling better than I was in general but I am very up and down. This week I've had a really good couple of days feeling incredible, laughing and happy and sociable and as afraid (I'm very shy person) but then I suddenly crash and it feels like everything just starts falling apart again, I cant stop crying, suicidal thoughts going through my head sad

It isnt as bad as my low moods before I started the sertraline but they are very intense and its hard to believe it will get better when I feel like this. I'm a student at uni, I'm very alone, I have friends but noone I can confide in about this :'( I really dont want to stop taking it because I cant live my life without it at the moment, but will these ups and downs get better? Anyone else had anything similar? 

Thanks xxx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi sophie sorry to hear your feeling so down ! But your not alone it just seems that way have you got someone at uni you can talk to i presume your uni would have councillers for.just this reason as not everyone coups well when away from home.! Have you voiced your concerns with your doctor if not it might be worth doing so ! Regards the suicidal thought have you thought about phoning the samaritans they are not judgmental and they will listen to your concerns and point you in the right direction for help and further help ! If you.want.i can send you the number for samaritans ! Please take care and i wish you the best and please let me know how you are getting on ! David
  • Posted

Hi Sophie I tried switching to sertraline from citalopram a couple of weeks ago  but couldn't stand the side effects so switched back on Sunday. I became stable again immediately. I do know that some meds take some getting used to but please go track to your doctor because it's not ok to be having suicidal thoughts and they might try you on something different. Don't give up. X
  • Posted

Sertraline takes 4-6 weeks to build up in your system I hated the side effects lots of anxiety and  dark thoughts but just keep saying to yourself it is the medication and it will help I had quite a few down days in the beginning of taking it but there getting further apart now the anxiety comes and goes to hopefully I will get better you say you have been depressed for years now there must be something that started it all off for you and that is what you have to overcome so please tell your gp and perhaps a form of counselling might help please take care and try not to think that way 

Jason xx

• Posted

Sophie.

Do they have student counsellors...?Maybe it would be worth finding out so you at least have somebody to talk to about your feelings.

It will take a little while for the medication to work and as you are not feeling as bad as before,it says that they are working..even if just a little bit.

The ups and downs do get better,it just takes a little time for the medication to settle into your system.

I think you have just probably got very overwhelmed with all the changes and deadlines in your life. It can happen to anybody. 

Your antidepressants will in time lift your mood and you will find everything easier to cope with...xx

We are all here for you sunshine so you dint have to go through this alone.xx

• Posted

Hy Sophie, I asked my GP  for me to be put on anti depressants after months of getting lower & feeling alone & angry all the time, I finally hit rock bottom which lead to an attempt at suicide.  I felt so ashamed & at the end that I didn't tell my wife for a week & it ws time to get help!

I started on 25mg sertraline, which was a real relief, however not long after I needed to up the dose to 50 untill last week I asked to go to the max of 200mg!

I knew b4 I started taking them that I wasn't right & kept telling my wife that 'this isn't me', I was sick mentally. . Side effects wise I only had the occasional tremor & restless legs at night, otherwise seemed relatively s e free! Want to encourage you that although you feel no one can understand, you are defiantly not alone in this, I really feel for you & as the other comments gave suggested get some counselling from GP, I felt listened to & like a weight had been lifted!

I'm still having issues, but we are getting there!

Wishing you all the best & keep going. . Martyn x

• Posted

Hi Sophie just wanted to say that your not alone in these feelings and they will get better once you have settled down with the medication yes are a few side affects but I would rather have them than depression. Medication has helped me over many years get through depressive periods, depression is an illness and without the medication its hard to get through these times many people don't like the idea of taking medication but if you had a serious illness you wouldn't think twice about taking something that will make you feel better this is just the same as that we all need a little help at some time in our life you might find some counselling might help as well but see how you go for now and know that there will always be someone on here to give you some support if you need it.

take care

suex

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, I have been having counselling every couple of weeks with my univeristy counsellor but I'm limited with the amount of sessions I'm allowed to have sad I hope it does get better, it feels like the more I settle the into the medication the good moods are a lot better but the low moods are getting very low again, as for the suicidal thoughts I've had them a lot before Sertraline but they still wont go away but I feel more likely to do something, my thoughts are more vivid and violent since the medication which scares me. I'm trying not to drink alcohol because it makes things worse but being a student it makes me more alone. I dont feel like I can go out and have fun with everyone because I'll end up crying/suicidal thoughts.

My doctors dont care, they rush through my appointments and I tell them how I feel but they say its just the side effects and itll get better, they dont help , all they do is prescribe anti depressants to anyone to get them 'sorted' and dont really care about how theyre doing. My doctors at home used to be more understanding.

Its nice to know other people feel the same on here, most of the time it feels like noone understands xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.