Sertraline advice and alcohol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just started Sertraline, feeling a bit spacey but ok otherwise. No change yet but it has only been a week so not expecting much. 

I'm not sure how I feel about AD's, they don't change the circumstances so I wonder if they will be able to make any difference at all. On the other hand, if they do work very well, what if I become reliant on them? (On a side note I am starting counselling soon). 

Also, I'm supposed to be going out this Saturday with some friends and I'm wondering whether it'd be best I lay off the alcohol? I haven't been drinking much recently anyway but should I lay off altogether for a while?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I took a month off from drinking when I started my Sertraline and I'm really glad that I did. I get bad anxiety the day after drinking so I just decided to cut it out for a bit. Maybe give it a few weeks before having a drink.
    • Posted

I'm thinking that may be best, alcohol doesn't do me any favours anyway so, especially so early on in the course not drinking is probably the right way to go. 
  • Posted

I didnt deink for a while either, however, last weekend I drank a whole bottle of wine whle out at dinner!
    • Posted

How did you feel? I've read that having one drink on Sertraline is like having a few.
    • Posted

Haha! Bet it was a good night then! 

I do think it'd be best to stay off it, for a while at least.

• Posted

I was ok, which was probably helped by the fact I was eating but I def feel the effects quicker if not having drink with a meal but then Ive always been a bit of a lightweight where alocol is concerned, especially as I have got older which is annoying. I was ok the next day too just felt tired. But i am far more conscious of drinking now I am on them which i find annoying and I tend to stick to beer or wine even tho my favourite drink is JD and not had one in a year now sad

• Posted

Just until u r back on your feet again I would x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.