sertraline and anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am on 62.5 mg of sertraline. I have titrated up to that very slowly and although it has not been easy I do think it has helped me start to feel better with my anxiety. My question is....has anyone been on a good therapeutic dose and then something happen in your life where your anxiety just comes back???? I may or may not be at the dose that is truly therapeutic yet but I have recently had some family issues that have "triggered" me to feel very anxious! I was hoping after a day or so it would Burn itself out....but today is day 5 and I'm still feeling it! YUCK! Any advice WELCOME!!! thankssmile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Very difficult to say what is therapeutic dosage wise as everyone is different. I am currently on 75g but i am taking for depression caused by OCD. I started on 50g then upped in 25g increments. Should be going up to a 100mg on next appointment, i also have started to feel better but OCD dosages are normally higher apparently. What is the cause of your anxiety?
    • Posted

hi Cuffy

thanks for writing. at my last appointment my doctor did NOT think I was at the correct dose yet. He advised going up and it was up to me how to do it....12.5 or 25mg. I am sensitive to medicines and all my other increases were 12.5 so thats what I did. My anxiety was triggered a year ago by a health scare. Now that the dragon is out other things trigger it. As I mentioned, my son has been having some behavior problems and tantrums that I have not been able to control. they have been upsetting and I do think that is what is making me feel anxious again. I do know the triggers of his tantrums and I do feel like we can get it resolved, I just hate I feel like I have slipped back so much b/c of this!!!!

• Posted

Hi Renee.  After being on a high dose for years my doctor put me on something different and I weaned down to 25 mg of sertraline.  That pretty much held off the anxiety attacks.  I have been fine on that for about six years.  Then I got into my mid forties and started having lots of issues with anxiety and obsessive worrying (thinking perimenopause related). I also titrated up to 62.5 mg.  I was doing good again for a few months then got a refill of a different brand  of generic and went into a tailspin again.  Finally got my regular brand back, but I can't get back to that "feel good" place again.  It's really frustrating.  I don't want to bump up again because I know sometimes it gets worse before it gets better and I don't know if I can handle that right now.  We are building a house which is causing more stress than usual because I am having to run around a lot more and make lots of decisions I'm not used to.  

So, having said all that, I do think that certain situations can cause it to be worse and I usually take an anti anxiety to get through those days (short term only.  They are addictive). Maybe try to ride it out for another week..  I hope you get to feeling better.  My husband always says we can't pick our family.

• Posted

Hi 

good morning. thank you for your comment. i feel so alone in all this. I do have my mom and sister to talk to but their anxiety doesn't seem to manifest the same as mine. I just want to get back to my "feel good" place too! I just don't know if I will on my own or more meds are needed. I almost took an ativan yesterday to get through the day.....this morning I feel like my nervous system is a little better but my head is still heavy and foggy feeling. UGH. Good luck to you! and thanks againsmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.