Sertraline and blurred Vision

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Firstly thank you for your comments and support in advance 😊.

I have been on 50mg Sertraline now for Twelve weeks, I know the majority of the not so wonderful side effects. I've noticed no matter how many hours I sleep, it seems its never enough, I know Sertraline and sleep are not good bed fellows. However, I've noticed also my Vision at times to be blurred, is this also a vommon symptom? And if so will it pass .......... Thanks again xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello DaveyDee,

I have just been perscribed Sertraline and not going to lie, I am scared to start after a bad experience with Fluoxetine. I know I need something though..

How have you found / coped with the first few weeks?

• Posted

Hi Thomas 😊

Sorry for the delayed response I've literally walked in from Work, The first couple of weeks weren't to bad on Sertraline. I lost my appetite, had hot and sweaty flushes and the odd tingling sensation, but they past within a short period. And to be honest Sertraline has worked for me, I'd rather go through these accute symptoms than suffer Anxiety attacks. As for Fluoxetine I was on them for some Sixish months Twelve years ago for intrusive thoughts, and I can't remember having any side effects, mind, I was only on 20mg. But this is important with any antidepressants it is pivotal to drink plent of Water (1.5 to 2ltrs) a day, and if you do decide to commence taking Sertraline. They advise you to take it at night, and be sure not to drink nor eat Grapefruit, may I ask what is the dosage the Dr's are thinking of putting you on? I hope I've been of some help but there are people on this forum that have been on Sertraline for years and no doubt they'll give you better advice than I, they're all very supportive. Also I'd like to further read updates on how you get on either way, and thank you Thomas for your reply 🖒

• Posted

I on day 4 of sertraline and I'm trying to stick with it. I swear I have literally every side affect listed on the bottle and it has cause my anxiety, which is what I am taking it for, to go into overdrive.

• Posted

Hi Lsutiger 😊

Sertraline can increase Anxiety and also produce dark thoughts (suicidal/self harm), though it is more common in Teenagers. As for the bucket list of sertraline side effects, these differ or are similar with each individual. Four days in your system is just starting to get used to the new Medication. As for me Twelve weeks in, I'm still classed as early stage. I would keep a log on how the Medication affects you, as my GP asked me after my first Two months on Sertraline. Hang in there my friend I promise it'll pass and thanks for replying 🖒

• Posted

I'm thinking about taking it at night. I know I've read that some people don't recommend taking it at night because it can do weird things to your sleep but so far for me it made me very drowsy, it might actually help me sleep lol!

I'm also not sure my GP actually knows what she's doing when it comes to antidepressants. I didn't get any instructions at all. I think if I would have been warned of the side effects I probably wouldn't have been caught off guard. I literally thought I was dying the 1st day lol! It wasn't until 6hrs after I took my 1st dose that I decided to read the bottle and was like increased anxiety? Rapid heart rate? Hot flashes? Tingling sensations? Nausea? Dizziness? Drowsiness? But when I called my GP she told me it wasn't the medicine that was causing all of that!

• Posted

I read somewhere that a Paramedic attended a patient in extreme Anxiety, when asked what Medication they were Prescribed, the Paramedic told tje Patient it was the Sertraline that caused the attack. It is well known that Sertraline is a nasty antidepressant, but as any antidepressants its which is the better of the Evils. I would consider in taking Sertraline in rhe morning you will sleep better, my Dr asked me (before prescribing me a Antidepressant) how would I feel if he showed me how to do controlled breathing exercise. When I explained rhe Anxiety was not just interfering with Family life, it was also telling at work and that I wouldn't be here if I was coping. I wasn't happy in asking for a aid shall I say, but I thought at the time I needed to take control. Make sure you drink plenty of bottled Water though, and to be honest you'd be surprised that by drinking the Water you will feel so much better.

• Posted

The best thing to do is go get an eye exam and ask the eye doctor if this medication effects vision, eye pressures ..etc.. they will know and have the correct answers you are asking. I would say opthamologist rather then an optician. They can also examine your eyes and such. Who knows it could just all come down to some dry eyes and some refresh drops and youd be fine. 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa 😋,

I had my eyes tested and everything was fine, I was told it could be due to tiredness. Or REM as on Sertraline I've discovered your sleep is not deep. And As I said before Sertraline and sleep, not good bed follows. I'm going to book a appointment with my GP the week after next, so I'll run it by him, I was hoping if anyone had any similar symptoms. Thanks for your reply Lisa x😊

• Posted

Hi, i am on sertraline for 3 weeks and I have blurred vision and seeing double, hard to focus. Did it go away ?

Very thankful for answers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.