Sertraline and zopiclone or lorazepam

Posted , 2 users are following.

Happy Christmas to all

Irony..I was put on sertraline for insomnia but told to take something else to help me sleep

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has taken sertraline with a sleeping pill

For me I'm better taking lorazepam instead of zopiclone

Zopiclone and sertraline don't seem to combine well.

Does anyone else have any experience of mixing zopiclone or lorazepam with sertraline?

Any comments greatly appreciated

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have a perception for 20 0.5mg Colazapan. It's like Lorazapan but last longer and its twice as potent, u can take .25 mg and it's like .5 mg of Ativan (Lorazapan) so far I'm taking 100mg of sertraline in the morning. By evening after running around like a crazy person all day I'm so exhausted by night time I sleep like a baby and don't need any benzodiazepines for sleep.
  • Posted

Ativan is probably better and would be most doctors first choice starting at 0.5mg but for me personall that is a really low does and it doesn't work for me. I'm assuming you place it under your toung, if that's the case and u take one but can still not sleep after 1hour it would be okay to take another 0.5mg
  • Posted

Another thing to consider is Ativan (Lorazapan) only last 4-6 hours, where Clonazepam last 3 times as long.
    • Posted

I take 1mg of lorazepam swallowed

Or 7.5mg of zopiclone which doesn't work as well for me

• Posted

hello

​doctors only gave me a few sleeping pills and no more, since then i went to teco and purchased there sleeping pills, on the box it says

crescent

diphenhydramine hydrochloride  50mg

they have been amazing however they made me feel very sleepy

• Posted

I've been taking 100 mg of sertraline, 15 mg of Remeron and 3.75 mg of zopiclone for a month now. Sleep is good. Weaning benzo, clonazepam, at the same time. Benzo like lorazepam are effective but long-term use is not a good idea. Zopiclone may be, not sure, a bit easier to wran off...
  • Posted

Update.. Doctors are stupid...

Zopiclone causes cancer (I was told by Dr that zopiclone is safe)

And lorazepam is more highly addictive than valium (I was told by Dr that lorazepam is less addictive than valium)

• Posted

All drugs have side effects, it is whether the benefits outway the risks.

Unfortunately the GP don't fully explain or don't fully understand.

The biggest risk with Zopiclone is becoming dependant on it, that is why it is only prescribed for short periods, it may possibly increase the risk of cancer with long term use, but I would think much less than drinking alcohol or smoking.

I did not have any problem stopping taking benzodiazepines after taking for short periods, but could understand becoming addicted as they made me feel relaxed and good.

I had huge difficulty withdrawing from antidepressants (citalopram), some people say it is more difficult than withdrawal from benzodiazepines (lorazepam, diazepam etc.)

• Posted

I found SSRI antidepressants (sertaline, prozac, citalopram etc.) made getting to sleep more difficult, and I found I needed zopiclone or benzodiazepines (lorazepam etc) more when taking antidepressants.

Zopiclone gave me a hangover effect the next day, which sometimes made me feel like a zombie other times was helpful to reduce anxiety.

The zopiclone type drugs allow you to sleep for a longer time but reduce REM type restorative sleep, so may not help you to feel better the next day.

I now take circadin melatonin tablets in the evening and they help getting to sleep and don't seem to have an after affect the next morning.

From my experience counselling/psychotherapy, someone to listen and offer support are more helpful than antidepressants. After a long wait I had a few sessions through the GP but ended up paying for more privately. Sleeping tablets and benzodiazepines are helpful for short periods but after being on antidepressants for years, overall I don't think they have been helpful, and the withdrawal took over a year and was extremely difficult.

It seems wrong to have to take more drugs to counteract the insomnia which is caused by the sertraline. I would say you would get more benefit from the zopiclone or lorazepam if you were not taking the sertraline but it is something to discuss with your GP., and ask about seeing a counsellor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.