Sertraline brand change

Posted , 61 users are following.

I had been taking sertraline made by a company called aurobindo for a few months and I was doing great. Last week when I went to pick up my medication I was given a different brand made by a company called ranbaxy. I thought nothing of it and carried on with my day. I began taking the ranbaxy brand on the 28th of April 2018 and things have slowly been going downhill from there. I've been experiencing insomnia, low mood, irritability, I can't concentrate and I just want to be alone. Yesterday I called the pharmacist and asked whether they could retrieve the old brand for me. They told me that their supplier has stopped supplying them with aurobindo and that there's nothing they can do. I've called some other pharmacists and they're telling me the same thing. I appreciate that the cause of this brand being not dispensed anymore is likely due to a cost saving excersise by the pharmacy but these side effects are undesirable. I really hope they go away with time. I've had such a good experience with sertraline in the past and I hope with time things will get better. I am going to continue taking the ranbaxy brand of sertraline and report back. Has anyone reading this experienced side effects when changing brands of sertraline before? 

4 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have never changed brands but I can tell you I am on the same brand as you and it felt awful and I felt the exact same as you do, but the side effects wore off after about 5 days it might take longer it might take a shorter amount of time, all bodies react to it differently but I am sure it is just temporary and you will start to function soon, sorry I could not have been of more help! Hope you get well soon
  • Edited

Hello, very interesting post. I have had a similar experience changing from Accord brand to Aurobindo brand. I thought nothing of it when the pharmacy changed brand about 4 months ago - apart from noticing pack was different - but as time went on, I began to feel like all my old symptoms were coming back. I have been so relaxed and well since starting with Sertraline in 2013 (I have GAD, OCD and I suspect I might be aspie) but gradually I felt the old “hoppy” feeling returning and could not understand why? After an especially bad day, I considered what had changed in my life, recalled the different brand and googled it. Bingo, it seems that others have had this too. Apparently, it is to do with the different “fillers” manufacturers put into the tablets. Now, I don’t get on with Aurobindo at all and want to change back to Accord and I managed to get one pack of the latter to tide me over and am due to see my GP to discuss next Wednesday. As I wanted to give myself some time (in case he argues the toss) I have been using the Aurobindo ones on the odd day here and there to eek the Accord ones out and there is no doubt, when I take one, I don’t feel so good. Anyway, I will post again after I have seen doc but would encourage you to perhaps go down the same route I have. I am determined not to go back to the dark place I was in before, so I am going to my appointment with all the facts and evidence at my fingertips. Good luck, you fight to get what you need x

• Posted

How long did you continue taking the aurobindo brand for? My theory is that like all medication, it takes the body some time to get used to it. So I might have some more undesirable side effects for a few more days and then they will subside. That is what I hope will happen. I will report back in a few days and see how I'm feeling. I'm keen to know whether you stayed on the aurobindo brand for some time and whether your body adjusted to it? 

• Posted

I had Sertraline from Ranbaxy when I just started taking it. I had horrible side effects! I thought it's caused by the drug itself but when changed for the one produced by Sandoz I felt considerably better even while increasing the dose. If it is available, you may want to give it a try.

• Posted

Hi Max and others... 

Just wondering if you have any updates about this? I am in the exact same situation and really not doing too well... Used to take aurobindo, and got switched to ranbaxy, just like you. It didn't even cross my mind that this could be an issue, but I've been taking it for about a week, and last 3-4 days, I've been feeling exhausted, moody, irritable and tearful - just like my initial symptoms. To make matters worse, I just moved overseas for work, equipped with 4 MONTHS worth of this new drug, and no access to my regular GP at all... 

Just wondering if your symptoms / side effects improved with time or not? What did you end up doing? I don't know whether to try and wait it out, assuming that it's just an adjustment period, or if I need to find a way to get a different brand locally... 

I would really appreciate any info, and thanks so much! 

• Posted

Hello, sorry for not getting back to you! How did it go in the end? The symptoms went away for me after about a week and a began feeling like myself again.

I've just found out that my pharmacy are changing brands again so I'm going to go through another uncomfortable experience.

• Posted

Hi there. 

I had the same issue with brand change but after a few weeks it settled down. Give it time and things will calm down. X

• Posted

Hi, i know this is an old post but im hoping that someone will answer!

i have been experiencing exactly the same thing changing from Ranbaxy to Accord on 100mg. My anxiety is through the roof, the sweats are back and i have had a really sore throat for over a week. The ting is, for the past 18 months i was on 50mg, and often had brand changes that never affected me. Could it be that the change in brands at the higher dosage has caused this?

• Posted

Hi, I'm replying to your comment quite some time after you posted it, I hope everything has turned out ok. A change in dosage or brand have both caused me issues in the past. Usually these side effects subside within a week or two.

• Posted

Hi, just found this post. I'm in the same situation as you and I'm experiencing the same side effects! Did you switch back brands to Ranbaxy or did it settle after a while?

I've just switched from Ranbaxy to Accord 100 mg.

6 days in and anxiety through the roof + night sweats.

Thank you! Sort of noticed a change in side effects when changing brands before - but this has definitely been the worst change I've had so far.

: )

• Edited

so just found this page as im really struggling to get aurobindo

i have discovered that aurobindo is part of milpharm ltd and my last pack lost autobindo off the pack and said milpharm.

ive tried accord, crescent, ranbaxy, and 2 others i cant remember, the aurobindo are the only ones that work.

i thought it might just be me and im so happy to find out im not the only one.

i take 200mg a day and been told thats maximum dose. i have to take 300mg Ranbaxy to get anywhere near the desired affect.

with this comes extreme tiredness and awful night sweats

• Posted

I have always had Zoloft by Eleva or Zoloft itself. I went to a different pharmacy and they gave me Setrona Ranbaxy. Never had it before. After taking it for two weeks I felt terrible. All of my old symptoms had come back, some which I hadn't experienced in over two years. My GP said there is around 20% difference in efficacy with different brands. I started taking my old brand 5 days ago and GP said it would take about a week or two and I should be back to normal. I have read some terrible reviews of Setrona Ranbaxy. My GP had never heard of it. STAY AWAY from this brand.

• Edited

This is really interesting, I've started on Ranbaxy and have tiredness and night sweats (the latter not so bad now). I've ordered some more as I'm on my last pack and the brand is now Milpharm, so it'll be interesting to see if there is a difference.

• Edited

I spoke to GP who said that different brands can cause problems with some people. Fortunately when I went to collect my new prescription they had dispensed Millpharm again. I am hoping my side-effects will subside in the next week.

• Posted

I'm literally having the same trouble, have you tried milpharm? if so how did you get on.

• Posted

@ross23132 I used to get Aurobindo and then was given Milpharm. Milpharm is actually really good so I have been asking my pharmacist for this one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.