Sertraline causing diarrhoea

Posted , 7 users are following.

HI,

I suffer with IBS-D and also anxiety. My Dr started me on sertraline for my anxiety, which I have been taking for about 5 or 6 weeks now, 50mg daily.

On the 4th day of taking it, I had quite a bad bout of diarrhea - a bit worse than my usual IBS so I thought maybe it was the sertraline causing it. I took some imodium and it settlesettled down, and I haven't had it that bad since...until today.

I woke up with bad stomach pains (which is quite normal for me), and I had a bout of diarrhoea. I went back to bed and woke up about an hour and a half later with stomach pains again, and I had another bout of diarrhea. I have since had several more bouts, and I am wondering if it could be the sertraline. I read on the Internet that the diarrhea can stay a fee weeks after taking the medication.

Had anyone else been on sertraline and experienced the same thing? If so, did it settle down eventually?

I don't think I have a bug as I don't feel unwell, but I do feel as though this is worse than my usual IBS flare up's.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Vicky

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sympathies Vicky.

I've been taking 50mg of sertraline for 26 days. Diarrhoea was one of several side effects, it's common I believe. It started immediately and at its worst was about five times a day, with urgency. It started to ease when I began taking Vitamin B complex every morning. I'm not sure if this helped or whether it would have eased on it's own, as my body became used to sertraline.

However, I forgot to take it one day and the following day I was running to the loo a lot so I make sure I take daily now and diarrhoea, once a day in the morning is my norm at the moment, with no cramps.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Joss,

Thanks for your reply and your advice regarding the vitamin B. I've taken a codeine to see if that helps (it's something my Dr has given me for my IBS).

It's so frustrating as one of the main things causing my anxiety problems is my IBS, so it's really not helping having bad diarrhea. 😳 just makes me more anxious...which I'm sure makes my stomach worse.

I hope your stomach problems with the sertraline continue to improve.

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

Yes I have that too.  I just started week 6 today.  It’s a common side effect.

Stacey

• Posted

Hi Stacey just wondering how long your toilet trouble lasted I'm just about to start my 5th week at 50 mg and in the last 2 weeks iv had bad diarrhoea like 3 times a day !! Please help put my mind at rest xx

• Posted

I switched to Prozac (Fluoxetine.)   The zoloft gave me too much anxiety I could not sit down.  Do you get constipated for several days and then have diarrhea?  Miralax works well for that.  I tried many things to help it.  
    • Posted

Hi no constipation at all Juat literally started 2 weeks ago so I'm not sure if it will settle down or not ? How is fluxotine and how was the transition from sert to it ? I have a feeling they may lower me back to 25mg or change my tablets xx

• Posted

I think I remember it did settle down, but then I switched in week 6.
  • Posted

Hi vicky

I've been on it for 2 weeks now and have the same. I'm also getting nausea at times on and off but my lower back is sore which I've never had before and it comes on about half hour after I take my dose been only 25mg for now... 

I'm hoping it settles down some people on forums say it settles down some need to stop completely.. 

good luck with everything

Trish 

• Posted

I have IBS and tried sertreline  for depression s 3 days ago. It gave me severe diarrhoea for 2 days. I’ll never take it again. From what I read online it’s not advisable to take any medicine for this type of diarrhoea.
  • Posted

I also had diarrhoea so I split the dose & take half of pill in morning & half for lunch though, If you were to take it later in the day you might not sleep. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.