Sertraline day 5

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys,

I've just finished day 5 on 50mg of Sert and what a bloody awful day it was. The side effects made my anxiety ten times worse. I had to take the day off work too which is not good being self employed.

I really can't face going through another day like today tomorrow after taking my next 50mg. Please can someone tell me if these side effects subside if i persist otherwise i think i'll just stop taking this drug!

Thank you in advance.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Im on 150mg of sertraline, the side effects lasted about 3 weeks with me

The drug is not working for me I have depression as well as anxiety.

Go back and see your doc if your not happy.

Everyone reacts difrerently to medication

Stay strong

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for the reply. The only thing that seems to calm me down is a few glasses of wine in the evening which i know is totally counterproductive and actually makes things worse but when you are in that moment you will do whatever it takes to try and calm yourself down. I'm also taking beta blockers for the panic but they really have no effect if I'm honest.

This sucks. Don't know what to do next. I've been told by family to stick it out with the Sert as it takes quite some time to fully start working, but everytime i take the stuff it just melts my head even more.

Arrgghh!!

• Posted

John-I take Betapace for my heart.  I never heard of it being used as an anti depressant or as a reliever of anxiety.  can you tell me what the name of your Beta blocker is?
    • Posted

Believe me I know  my meds at the moment are up in the air and they are trying to put me on to prozac which I have been on twice before and I know dont work Im being treated like a guinea pig

Sometimes meds are no good for anxiety therapy is the answer,

I only persevere with meds because of my depression

stay strong you are not alonecool

• Posted

Hi Frank,

I'm taking Half Beta-Prograne 80mg sustained release capsules.

• Posted

Thank you very much for all your advice Lynne.

You have no idea how much it's appreciated.

• Posted

Hi john-I am sorry I cannot help but can you tell me what Sert is?  I just got off phone with Mrs Head of the ME/CFS site in the United States and she didn't mention this treatment.  thank you.
  • Posted

Antidepressants are awful. I was in them for 14 years and been off them since last fall. My doc wants me to start back on them as my anxiety and panic attacks are out of control but I'm so hesitant. I can relate. The side affects can be terrible...did u talk to ur doctor?

Sandi

• Posted

Hi Sandi,

I have yet to go back to my doc but if tomorrow is as bad as today I will be in contact straight away. My doc definitely did not explain the side effects thoroughly enough otherwise i may not have started them in the first place. Terrible side effects all day. Totally wiped out. Only coming round now. She started me on 50md.....is that too much for a first timer?

Thanks.

• Posted

No doubt. Umm I'm not sure as my doctor never prescribed me sertaline. I was on Paxil for years then cipralex. Either way the side affects of antidepressants are terrifying. They make it worse. I have determined they cause more harm than good. They mask issues not solving them. Idk what to suggest as I too am in the same boat
  • Posted

In the beginning 10 years ago I went to a psychiatrist because the antiviral I was taking and the chemo therapy Campath causes depression in some patients.  The psychiatrist tried many types of anti depressants with bad results and then classified me as prescription naive and that was wonderful because then I got therapy one on one with a psychologist-not a counselor a pHD psychologist and he even did hypnosis.  He told me without a doubt the treatment I was getting scrambled neurons and he said many people are being treated for depression when it is CFS-he never put a ME/CFS on it-plain CFS but he said back then I would never get a medical doctor to admit it.  It seems the worm has turned and now medical science is finding out CFS is a disease of both mind and body. 
  • Posted

Hi John,

I have been on Sertraline for 7 weeks.  

3 weeks @25mg and now i am on day 30 @50mg.

I absolutely understand what you mean about the dibilitating side effects.  If you check the Sertraline forum on this website you will find many stories (including mine) that are just like yours.  People wondering if they can take the meds another day, waiting for a sign that they are beginning to take some effect, hoping for some relief.  I suggest you take a look - not to alarm you, but to understand that you are not alone and there are many people who have stuck with this drug and found it to be helpful.

Personally i am finally experiencing some relief from the side effects and have periods during the day when i feel normal.  I have set myself a timeline of 6 weeks @50mg before i make a decision about this dosage or trying another medication.  I have also begun therapy, which i believe will be a integral part of my recovery. Every day i have to bolster myself to face the anxiety, but I honestly believe i need to give sertraline time to reach therapeutic levels in my system before i give up.  It has worked for many people and the thought of trying something else frightens me more at this point.

i hope this has been helpful.  May you have a better day tomorrow than you had today and may you find in this community the encouragement and support that i have.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. You have no idea what it means to me.

Sadly i have reverted to my usual comfort of a bottle of wine to resolve what i can only describe as my fear. I know this will only make things worse tomorrow but at this stage, i just want to feel in some way calm or normal and this helps an awful lot.

Thankyou so much for your replies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.