sertraline decreased feeling

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I've been on Sertraline 100 mg for 4 weeks now and thinking about having it increased. I like this anti depressant. I sleep well, my anxiety has eased a little and generally feeling a little happier. The main problem is though,  that I feel disconnected from my feelings. Like I'll feel really upset in my chest but feel unable to actually cry. I need to be able to cry as and when I can because this helps relieve my depression. Can anyone tell me if they have had this experience themselves, anything similar and did it go away with time. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I’ve been on sertraline for 4 months now for anxiety and depression. I started ion 25mg, then 50 now 100 mg . My depression has lifted massively but I still suffer badly with anxiety. Since I started the medication I have been unable to cry at all. I don’t like this feeling and it is so unlike me as I used to cry at the slightest thing. I even get to the point where I think of sad things to try make myself cry but the tears don’t come. I feel as though my emotions have been numbed. I’m not sure if this is common or not or how long it lasts so sorry I can’t be any help to you . 
    • Posted

That is very helpful Cindy. Thank you. Maybe it isn't for me then. Just wish it was because I had good nights sleep. I hope your anxiety gets better. Will you let me know in future how you get on with your emotions and if you feel more in touch with them? I hope Sertraline works for you x

• Posted

Hi Sally. .like you I used 2 cry a lot at the start. Which did relieve the stress. .But. as time has went on. .I don't/ can't cry either. .But I just assume that the medication is working. . And yes I still feel a bit ODD at times. .But hopefully will go as time go's . . Hang in there. We're not alone. .Bless

• Posted

Thank you Ida. Are you taking Sertraline and if so how long have you been on it? At what dose? X
    • Posted

Hi Sally. .yea sertraline. .Was on 50 for bout 2weeks at start. .I've been on 100 for almost 4weeks now. . .found quite a difference. . . Side effects for me was kiss of appetite. .But I'm getting there . .slowly. . Hoping this helps. .God bless

• Posted

I experienced odd sensations too. Definitely slightly depersonalisation, not reacting to things or people. It sort of placed me in a little cacoon. I think it was part of the beginning of becoming calmer and not reacting . I feel so much more perspective now , which keeps the reactive anxiety and catastrophising as bay. With lots of quiet , rest and other calming activities I am coping well with life's challenges and feeling motivated and happy again . Stick at it . I am on 50mg. It worked for me and took 10 - 12 weeks with a few setbacks . Onwards and upwards .

• Posted

I had the same experiences on sertraline it felt as those I couldn't express the emotions i felt which I found really uncomfortable to.. but it does away with time , probably just your body getting used to the drug .. my doctor told me it takes about 6 weeks to fully take shape in your body x

• Posted

Hi ziggy

How long was you on sertraline for before you felt like you could express emotion again? X

• Posted

I had the same experiences on sertraline it felt as those I couldn't express the emotions i felt which I found really uncomfortable to.. but it does away with time , probably just your body getting used to the drug .. my doctor told me it takes about 6 weeks to fully take shape in your body x

• Posted

This went away for me. maybe like 6-8 weeks in on each dose. I am a cryer! I’ve only cried 3 times though since starting in December but it’s nice to know it will come when I really need it. I am very emotional and so I was worried I wouldn’t get choked up about cute dog videos anymore lol but I am feeling more connected to my emotions by the day: maybe not the same as before but I’m still in the early days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.