Sertraline - does it work for anxiety related to intrusive thoughts?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Currently on week 4. No improvement yet, but will give it another 4 weeks on 50mgs. Anyone else take sertraline for anxiety caused by obsessing over intrusive negative thoughts? Did it work for you?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matt,

I'd say yes it does. If you mean like catastrophising over stuff, ie in my case, dreading getting up for work Monday morning, or any morning, overthinking what may go wrong, finding the dark side of everything, then yes I really do think you'll get better. It's such a slow process though. I was still lying on the sofa thumping it out of frustration at 8 weeks wondering why it wasn't yet working. Then at about 10 weeks, now, I feel a change taking place. I feel fine in every way but I'm just not able to have those kind of thoughts at the same intensity, even if I try, it's weird. Definitely stick with it.

• Posted

Yes, that's exactly it, catastrophising. Thinking that worst case scenarios are going to happen and then obsessing over that scenario again and again. That's the main part of my anxiety. Hoping these pills shut my brain up a bit!!

• Posted

Thought i would post an update (because i found updated posts very helpful and give hope). Nearly into week 6 of 50mg sertraline and am starting to notice small improvements. Sense of dread in the mornings has reduced, and anxiety less intense. Also no longer waking at 4am. Hopefully improvements will continue! Weeks 1, 2, and 4 were difficult for me, but this is a drug that requires patience!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.