Sertraline don't be scared it works with the right dosage.

Posted , 81 users are following.

Hi all, for nearly 3yrs I was on sertraline, at the beginning it was awful. Dizziness, lack of interest, mood swings tired loss of appetite throwing up headaches and so on. I started at 25mg till we found the right dosage for me and that was 150mg. At this stage I was ok no anxiety, no panic attacks no fear no suicidal thoughts none of what I felt before. All of that was gone. I was me again. I felt good. When I started I was 58kg went down to 42kg had to wear kids cloths. Once I found the right dosage and started feeling good again I had everything back including my weight. Last year because I was feeling good I decided to stop it. My Gp told me it was too soon but I heard so much about the tablets I just wanted to stop them.

After a few wks I realised was to soon and asked my Gp to put me back on them. So I'm back on them and this time I went up very quickly. I started straight at 50mg then 100 then 150 and back to 200mg. I promise you it's worth going through all this side effects because after you will feel good again. This is my positive story to all of you. I really really hope it works for all of you as it did for me. Any questions please ask I will answer. Best of luck to all of you stay strong fight don't give up your friend ILDA xxx

29 likes, 230 replies

230 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm so glad to see a positive outcome 💐 I'm so tired of reading so many negative responses to a medicine that is truly a life savior for mid life crisis and these types of illness . So many people can be so judge mental about mental medications , glad there's a fed where we can all share our experiences , I have hope that this will help my life get back on track 25 mg starting anti for the first time in my life
    • Posted

Crystal reading so much negative comments and friends telling me not to take them today I regret it. It took me 4 months to put my first pill in my mouth till I got the courage to take it. Now I regret not taking then sooner.

Best of luck to you and I'm here always xxx

• Posted

Thank you so much I have two beautiful children that I just won't give up on that's what gave me the strength to take the first step forward towards recovery . So glad there working for you can't wait to feel this way to 🌴🌞🌞
  • Posted

Oh wow. Ilda. I experienced all the side effects and more for months, but I'd take that over the depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts & constant worry.  I'm on 200mg too, but in a split dose, one in the morning, one at night.

I've been on Sertraline 18 months now. 

Best advice I can can give to anyone is stick with it. It may take a while & we are all different.

some people claim they felt better in weeks.. For me it took months.. 

Take care all you fellow sufferers, you're not alone and this forum has helped me through some very dark times in my life. 😊

• Posted

Hi Carol I take them together in the morning. And I feel good. Best of luck to you and pls don't do the same thing as me first timesmile I felt so good I stop them now back at them again. I don't even care how long have I got to take them as far as I always feel good I'm good toosmile xxx
    • Posted

How is it working on them and getting motivated ? When the depression , anxiety and negative thoughts hit me in December it brought my hole life down couldn't function and I had to stop working now I'm really depending on this medication to get me going again .....
    • Posted

25mg is a very very low dosage. Talk to your Gp to increase it for you. Taking 25mg you won't get much of itsad
    • Posted

Did anyone went to phycatric or all dealing with family doctor only ?

Just to share experience on that.

• Posted

Yes I'm with ilda you have to see your doc as 25 is too low you probably need more than this , I'm on 100 and still have this dark spot in my mind not totally normal .
    • Posted

Yes I used to go therapy once a wk, then once a month. Sometimes they helped sometimes I used to think what an idiot. Once I told him to see one of his colleagues cause he needed more than me. People likes it, I guess it depends really where you go!
    • Posted

They orginally wanted to start me at half of 25mg I mis read the bottle and started with 1 half started 2 weeks ago and now on 25 mg it's only been 2 weeks with a five day break in between because I didn't take the medication properly so I finished it and had to go back to the doctor .
    • Posted

I already started to feel a difference so something is defiantly happening , I will be following up with my doctor after I'm done with the 25 mg
    • Posted

Crystal instead of you starting a 25mg ask them to start at 50mg then after 2 wks go back to Gp. If you still feel the same way they will increase it to 75mg or 100mg. In my point of view is better to have side effects in one go than having them more frequently. Talk to your Gp about it please. Xxx
  • Posted

I'm now back to square one with the side effects and increased anxiety because my Dr upped my dosage from 25 to 50mg after 3 weeks of taking sertraline because i wasn't noticing any difference at all.  I am supposed to take 50mg for 3 weeks and see if there is any improvement.  This is day three @ 50mg and its a struggle to keep it together.  I know I just have to ride it out and eventually I will feel good again.  Thanks Ilda for all your positive messages and helpful advice.
    • Posted

You will trust me. On the second wk if you don't feel an improvement ask them to increase your dose. If you increase at the end of the second wk beginning of third wk you won't feel much side effects. Because u were in a very low dose and now u starting taking a normal dose you will feel some side effects but they will go away once they find the right dosage for you. Once you body gets adjustad to 50mg going up sometimes it's easier. Don't give up be strong. Xxx
    • Posted

day 4 @ 50mg and I have just taken my meds.  Didn't sleep much last night.  Do you have any advice for battling the isomnia?  thanks for all your support I'm hoping today will be a better day than yesterday.
    • Posted

Ask your Gp to help you with medication, I used to take mine as well it's not addictive and it will help. Now I only take it when I really need it. Or you can get nytol blue box and take one a night and see if it helps. But nytol you can't take more than a few days. Xxx
    • Posted

I need some help and advice.  day 13 @ 50mg and for the last 4 days i have been overwhelmed most of the time with intrusive thoughts and some panic attacks.  I am experiencing up to 3 hours of feeling normal during the day, but woke in a full panic at 3:15am.

Did you experience anything like this?

Does this reaction at this time(almost 5 weeks) indicate that the meds are not right for me?

I want to give the 50mg time to work before increasing again and doesn't the periods of feeling better mean that it is working?

I asked my GP the last time we spoke about something for the panic attacks and she didn't offer anything, but if this continues i will call tomorrow and find out if there is anything i can take when it is unbearable.

I really appreciate any advice/support you can give me.

thanks so much

• Posted

Talk to your GP, aks for Ativan, it will help with the anxiety and sleep, until the med start working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.