Sertraline dose increase

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on 50mg Sertraline for 6 weeks for OCD/anxiety with no improvement in symptoms so feel I should increase dose, does anyone have any advise on whether It's best to go to 75mg next or straight to 100mg?. Thank you.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

I would give it two more weeks to be certain no change has happened. The problem is, a lot of people I know, who take medication for depression, anxiety or depression respectively, don’t actually believe the medications do much for them, but if they miss a particularly long period (for example, during a holiday) their mood or actions drastically change. While you may not feel any different, others may have noticed changes - ask around to see if this is the case. 

The only reason I say all this is because of two reasons: people jump around so many antidepressants because they expect to feel cured, but in fact this won’t ever happen, but positive changes can, do and will occur. Jumping around them too much can result in feelings of hopelessness that nothing will help you feel better. Secondly, I also say what I say because you’re firstly considering upping your dosage. This will make coming off the antidepressant (if and when you do) harder - you want to try and keep it on as low a dosage as possible. 

However, if you honestly believe there’s been zero change, and people have not noticed any change you yourself may be oblivious to, go back and ask for an increase in the dose. For reasons highlighted above, try 75mg first. 

• Posted

Thank you Callum, I will bear that in mind. Thanks again for your thoughts. Katie.
  • Posted

HI Katie

I'm on the same medication! My highest dose was 100mg but I've been tapering off very very slowly and now down to 25mg

I think you definitely need to at least try an increased dose by as like with tapering I would be more inclined to increase slowly so try going up to 75mg for a few weeks

There is always the possibility that this drug isn't what works/helps you but if you can give it a bit more time at a higher dose!

Hope u get some relief soon and remember to balance your well being with health food and daily physical exercise! It helped me heaps!

• Posted

Hi Karogers, Thanks for you reply. I agree that eating healthily and exercise are beneficial even when you have no interest in either.. I intend to increase to 75mg first when I do decide. Thanks again for the reply. Katie.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.