Sertraline for anxiety. 1 pill and i feel crazy! Please help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. First time ive ever done this, feeling alittle stupid.

After a tough 8 months (court battle over my child, allegations and a general nasty ex) i finally broke last week and

My anxiety got the better of me after yet another threat from my ex.

I went to the docs and told him about how bad

My anxiety is and how bad its making me feel. He percribed me 50mg of stertrine. Took the first tablet fri morning and within a few hours i was sick (twice) terrible tummy, no apetite, bad heart palps and i was so sweaty. Few hours later came the awful emotional state. Crying and anxiety was 1000x worse than it ever was, was even having suicidal thoughts which ive NEVER had

In my life. Scared me so i havent taken any since. Its saturday wasnt much better (though was the first visiatation between my ex and my son a a contact centre) but between 5pm- 8am sunday i felt great, back to normal, sunday i wake up and gor the last 6 hours now ive felt anxious,crying, crazy, thinking up negative thoughts and cant seem to shake the anixety. It was never like this before, pharmacist has told me i have had a severe reaction but ive rang 111

A few times and no one seems to be taking me seriously. Has anyone got any words of wisdom for me please?

When will this nasty drug be gone, will my anxiety stay terrible?

I fear its caused some damaging effects on me. I do not want to ever try any of medication again. I'll stixk with natural. Please help, anyone. Id apreciate it as atm i feel like a loon sad

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hayley,

First of all different people have different reactions to prescribed drugs. You have had a big reaction and it's happened at the wrong time of week.

I was prescribed sertraline for my depression but it pushed my anxiety levels right up. Luckily I have a good relationship with my gp and I was taken off sertraline and put on fluoxetine instead, much better for me.

I hope you get some help and get sorted soon.

Mike.

• Posted

Thankyou for replying mike. Ive spoken to numerous pharmacists who have all said different things, one telling me its all in my own head. Feel like i am driving my family crazy with my negativity. My partners sat out on the decking with his hands in his head as i type sad im feeling alittle normal at the moment, more like myself. For the first time all day. Will i feel better once it is all put my system? I went to the docs for help with my anxiety (never experienced like that before) but id take my 'normal' anxiety daily over this any day. I'm going to try and see my doc tomorrow but at the moment im just feeling completely helpless and alittle crazy if im honest.

Thanks for replying to me

• Posted

Hi,

That's okay happy to help. Please try not to take it out on your nearest and dearest. You are suffering an illness and will be contrary and illogical as well as downright miserable. If it was an illness people can see then it would be easier to help you. As it is you will feel on your own until you can get yourself sorted, but you will need their love and support to get through this.

Best wishes,

Mike.

• Posted

Do you think i will feel better once the tablet is completely out of my system?

My 'original' i could cope with, this is outrageous. I cant carry on with only a few 'normal self' hours a day. This weekend has been hell because of it sad its even made me socially anxious, going out to a bbq saturday late lunch was excrutiating. Ive never had these problems before and i'm scared im not stuck with them sad

• Posted

Hi Hayley, I can't believe it you have had basically the exact same post as I had put on here a few months ago. I took one sertraline tablet and I was locked in fear for hours was terrified. Completely sweating and shaking. I am going to be honest you might be lucky and it will go out of your system and you will return back to normal once your brain chemistry balances out again. Unfortunately for me this didn't happen and it's still effected me 3 months later I'm still pretty much the same. I have been to a neurologist. Paid a fortune for the appointment. He told me that Iv had a brain chemistry "storm". Unfortunately it can take months to go back to normal. It's made me so angry at GP for prescribing it as it's completely ruined my life. However the GO has reassured me I will eventually be okay once my brain chemistry goes back to normal but there is no set time frame on this. I would recommend getting the doctor to prescribe diazepam for when you are really struggling. This really helps and has an immediate calming effect. Keep strong. Emily

• Posted

Oh god emily that sounds absolutely terrifying. I feel alittle better today, still got some sickness and dry mouth, no apetite and i'm alittle dazey but my anxiety seems to be setteling back to the normal stuff. No crazy thoughts just worrying now about daft things which im pretty used to as ive always been a worrier. Im praying im getting better.

• Posted

Hi Hayley.

I spent last summer on anti-depressant roulette. Sertraline seems the 'go-to' in the first instance and I had exactly the same reaction. It was out of my system in about 48 hours and I felt close to okay again. The citalopram, which felt pretty much the same, escitolopram which was the same except I could occasionally sleep and now mirtazapine, which has seen a gain in weight but no other nasty side effects.

We all react differently and it's not a pleasant experience. You have my sympathy and assurance that it will improve.

Get back to your GP and tell him you are at square one.

• Posted

It really was the worst weekend ive ever endured. Been back to the docs today, feeling alittle better today but still very anxious. He has given me some propranolol for my anxiety and adrenaline. Because i have had such a difficult time recently he thinks my adrenaline levels were sitting higher and the sertraline has made it worse, therefore making my anxiety awful. Just reluctantly took it as im so scared of side effects now but hoping this will help me!
    • Posted

Hi Hayley

I've been looking up other people's reactions to taking steraline because I am having some of the most strangest thoughts and feelings I was prescribed them 3 days ago,I just want to sleep but can't because my thoughts are frightening , I have sweaty palms and pulsations andshortness of breath,

Last night was horrendous I had my self thinking all sorts, I was leaving my house this morning because I believed there was something bad here and how had I not seen this before??

I've never had anything like this before but it has been a very difficult few years , I just need it to stop, so I wanted to hear how you got on?? What was the outcome??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.