Sertraline for anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

After some help, I am currently coming to the end of week 4 of being on sertraline for anxiety. I felt more like my old self within week 3. But this week I seem to have gone backwards. I suffer with IBS and this week I had a bad bout of an IBS flare up and I don't seem to have recovered back from it. This morning i woke up with really bad anxiety, similar to the way i felt in the first week. I am only currently taking 50mg and I have read on some of the other forums that others have increased this to 75mg? Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Anthony,

Not to worry this is completely normal. You will have these ups and downs until it settles. You will get worse before you get better. I was on 50mg for 4 weeks then went up to 100mg, which I have stayed on for nearly 8 weeks. I found that jump might of been a little to soon for me as I had a ROUGH time. Anxiety was at its worst, intrusive thoughts, insomnia, and just living in my mind every hour of the day. I have had good days and bad days even now. I am definitely able to handle things better now to what I was. Be aware it can take 3-4 months for sertraline to work, if you don't notice a little change in another 4 weeks I would consult your doctor and tell him how you feel and discuss your options. Dont worry though mate better days will come, as bad as things get no matter how bad they hit you, trust me youll get there

• Edited

thanks Robbie for replying its good to hear from others who are the same. At the minute i seem to worry about everything and over think things. Due to be going away in a few weeks and i'm dreading it because how i feel. fingers crossed it gets better.

• Posted

robbie, did it take the whole 8 weeks to feel better when u started the 100mg?

thanks

• Edited

I promise you things get easier! once you find a dose that suits you and be patient better days will come. stay positive brother

• Edited

Hi Neal,

Its hard to say, cause I had a few good days early on but then dropped back down. I would say 6 week on 100mg my anxiety didnt feel overpowering. Combine it with meditation, exercise, healthy eating and positive thinking (as hard as it is).

• Edited

its really comforting to hear this robbie, I'm on a new dose, week 11 and really struggling.

• Edited

I went on holiday two weeks ago and was having so much fear about it. I generally had a good time though

• Edited

stay strong! im having a little bad patch again but nothing like before. all about staying as strong and positive as you can.

• Posted

thank you. I've had a couple of calmer days but I'm feeling jittery again today.

• Posted

That is normal my friend, you cant have sunshine without some rain. How long have you been on sertraline in total? and how long on each dose?

• Posted

its been a long 11 weeks with many dose adjustments as i am so sensitive to it. had to go back down to 50, am on day 18 of that now and I'm generally feeling quite twitchy and yuck. Holding on in there with faith that this will pass.

• Edited

I have been on 100mg now for nearly 12 weeks and I still think I would benefit from another increase but I am going to give it another month to see how I get on. Help yourself while your waiting on the sertraline to kick in... exercise, eat healthy, keep a good sleeping pattern. I would suggest giving meditating a go cause I found that helps! There is two apps I use and I cannot fault them one bit., "Calm" and "Dare". Give them a go and see how you get on, what have you got to lose?

• Posted

I really appreciate your support Robbie, thank you so much. Anxiety can be so scary, especially when you feel like you're on your own with it. This has really helped.

• Edited

its terrifying! yeah you are right you do feel alone but surround yourself with as much positivity as you can keep a solid routine like what I mentioned before. Keep breaking them brick walls down that are thrown at you. Anxiety cannot hurt you no matter how bad it gets, remember that. Its how you choose to react to your anxiety. Thoughts are just thoughts, they do not represent the person you are. And when you feel anxious and have that heavy chest, heart pumping, thoughts going crazy, it is just your body reacting to your negative thoughts with a fight or flight response. You will probably feel tired at the end of the day which is mostly down to either not getting enough sleep the night before or your nervous system being in override all day making your body exhausted. Don't think your situation is different to anyone else ,there is I guarantee people been/going through the exact same if not worse situation to what you are right now. Taking sertraline will not cure us its just a helping hand to give us a boost to do what is necessary. Everybody on this planet will suffer some form of anxiety in there life but difference is everyone reacts to it differently. your cool j5, march on!

• Posted

thank you so much! This last week has been better - i want more of this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.