Sertraline for OCD/anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been on 50mg Sertraline for nearly 4 weeks now and have felt no improvement in my OCD/anxiety , if anything I've felt my symptoms are worse. Has anyone had any success with taking it and how long does it usually take to work?. I've been suffering for years and am desperate to have some relief. Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have suffered with depression and anxiety off and on for years but last year panic attacks and anxiety got dreadful . I started on 50mg last November and it took me 12 weeks to feel a bit better . It then got increased to 100mg and took around 6 weeks to start to work better. I am much better now still have a few bad days mainly mornings but sooo much better than I once was . Stick with it this med takes time but it does work so keep the faith and plod on the best you can until the meds start to work . Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you John, It does give me some hope to know that it takes some time for the meds to work.
    • Posted

Hi John. I've been increasing sertraline from 50mg in January to 150mg now. Total of 18 weeks. I've seen some improvement but not great. Based on your experience, do you think I should stick with it for another while? My GP is useless, waiting list to see psychiatrist on NHS urgently is over a month and it's £360 fo a private appointment 😱

• Posted

Hi Kj70,

Hi know how you feel, i’ve been on it just over five weeks and I had to go back to me my GP because I didn’t feel any better he put it up from 50mg to 75mg still feel weird and Axiours but trying to cope.

People have said on this forum and other forums that it can take up to 6-8 weeks to kick in that’s what i’m waiting on

My GP did want to put me on a 100mg however, I was frightened of the side affects. 

Give it a little while and if you don’t feel better go back to your doctor.

Sending God’s blessings 

• Posted

Thank you for your support Blondey . I think I will stay on the 50mg dose for a while longer and them go back to Dr to increase it. I hope things improve for you too soon..
  • Posted

Hi Kj70, like the others mine took around 8 to 9 weeks to feel better. I still have days here and there that causes a relapse, but nothing like what it was before zoloft. I might have to go up some but right now i take 50. Hang in there it will kick in.😎

• Posted

Hi,

I will agree with all’s the people above to give it some  more time, but maybe 50mg is not enough for you.

I started with 50mg 9months ago and I m currently taking 150mg which was finally the right dose for me .

Don’t be afraid of the side effects. Usually last just a few days .

😃

• Posted

Thanks Kakia, I'm sure I will try upping the dose in the future.

• Posted

Hi,

For OCD the regular dose is 150mg of Sertraline, perhaps yours is too low.

• Posted

Thanks Alexandra, I intend to up the dose in a few weeks, diffi cult to know whether I still have side effects from 50mg as I felt nausea from anxiety before starting it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.