sertraline, how long before it works?

Posted , 74 users are following.

Hi, I was prescribed sertraline on thursday for anxiety, Ive suffered with it since I was 11 after my dad's sudden death, I used to have panic attacks regularly as a child. I'm now 25 with a 4 and 2 year old and its began to get worse, my 4 yr old is in pre school and I get really anxious about school runs, I turn down invitations to any sort of social situations as I panic so much. I sit and worry about all most anything and it gets me really down, I just want to be worry free and able to enjoy these precious years while my children are little! Anyway I have taken 2 tablets so far (50mg) and ive had all sorts of side effects, shaking, feeling cold, nausea, teeth grinding and ringing in my ears. These I can deal with if it doesn't go too long... just wondering how long before they start to work? Just want to feel normal again sad

2 likes, 162 replies

162 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jenni I no exactly how you are feeling I've been there it's horrible all I can say from my own experience Is stick with the sert as it takes 2-3 wks to start working I started on 50mg and I've increased to 150mg and I'm feeling pretty good now. This med sorted me out but it can make you worse before you get better I no it's hard but I'm sure will be feeling like me very soon ok take care Jamie
    • Posted

Hiya Jamie relise it was a while ago since you posted but was just wondering when did your side effects actually stop and when did you start feeling you self again been on sertraline for nearly 5 weeks 2 weeks on 50mg and coming up 3 weeks on 100mg and had a really good week last week even tho I couldn't bare going out the house I felt normal and was eating but three days ago I feel like I'm back at square one. 

Thanks. 

• Posted

Hi Chloe I am the same as you was on 50mg for 4 weeks then been on 100mg for one week literally can't leave the house ATM with out feeling weird of anxious can't even drive my car atm. My friend said he's fine now hes took ages to kick in but once you get past the sh*t patch it's balances out and you'll get back out there to normal life

• Posted

This gives me hompe I only started on them a week ago never had axiety issues until I had an accident at Christmas, then when I recovered from that the anxiety issues started.  I am on 50mg of Setraline so far it has not made me feel any better but I have only taken it for a week so I am praying it will help me and I will feel as I used to. 
    • Posted

I meant to type hope!

• Posted

Hi Jenni,

Sorry to hear your story, we all suffer at some point in life with depression/anxiety/stress and people cope in many different ways, but remember you are in no way weak, actually you are the opposite!!

In my own experience it took about 3-4 weeks to really feel any difference, but in the meantime, try and supplement the tablets with getting fresh air, sunlight, speak with friends/family so they appreciate what you are going through AND make sure you get the same brand of tablet each time as getting different ones could make you worse. If you can, request a brand called LUSTRAL, it may not work the same for everyone, but from advice I was given by colleagues in the NHS, this would be the "gold standard" brand.

Try and remain as positive as possible and focus on the positives in your life and they will overtake the negatives.

God bless

Paul

• Posted

Hello Jenni

The initial 'stronger' side effects for me lasted first couple of weeks.

It took 8 weeks until I felt completely 'normsl' again - but weeks 3-8 were no where near as bad as the first 2 weeks, and it wasn't every day. I'd have a few really good days and then a couple of down days.

It def got less and less over the 8 weeks.

From week 3 I could easily go about my normal day again.

Keep going and good luck xx

• Posted

I am hoping that I will get back to some sort of normal in a week or so I have only been taking them for a week like Jenni and i was scared I was getting worse but this thread gives me hope.  Good luck to all of you in this situation lets hope the meds work for us.
    • Posted

How are you feeling now? I am on day 10 and still having side effects and feeling mentally worse. Only on 25mg and supposed to up to 50 but worried i will get worse
    • Posted

hello there...i just joined this group...new to the whole board and taking sertraline! Did you go up to 50? I"m curious b/c I just posted a discussion about going up to 50 for myself. I'm scared to. I hope if you did it helped. I'd love to chat more if you wishsmile

• Posted

H Jen

I have experienced the same as you re school runs and I know the feeling in the morning when you are trying to get out the door with the kids, I did not look for help for while, I should have in hindsight but we do not like to admit we can not cope especially to partners ect.. You seem to understand when and why your anxiety began all them years ago after loosing your dad, have you ever had counselling to explore this. ?

I have been taking sertraline for 8 weeks now and at the start I felt sick, headaches ect but persevere because they do slowly stop. Give this med a good go , five weeks ago I could hardly function and now im enjoying life and a managed to write an assignment for uni and enjoy it. I would say the tablets do work perhaps not with everyone but you can get through the first unpleasant stage just focus on what the outcome could be for you.

You still a young woman with so much in front of you to live for, tell yourself you will defeat this anxiety and you will lead a happy normal life !!

I wish you the best of luck

x.

• Posted

Thanks so much to you all for your replies!

Thats good to hear Paul as 'LUSTRAL' is the one I was prescribed smile

I've also been referred for counselling so I have to book in for my session this week, something I should of thought about doing many years ago!

So I should feel them starting to work in 2-3 weeks, thats good, looking forward to nice days out in the summer with the kiddies and not feeling anxious every time I leave the house!

When do you make a decision about whether you need a higher dose?

Xx

• Posted

HI Jenni

Sorry to hear all of this. I feel like we live teh same life. I have always had anxiety never treated. Have a 5 and 3 year old and aftter they were born had sever postpartum anxiety. I was put on Zoloft with my first and weaned off and went on it after my second. Stayed on it and lost my dad suddenly in december. I had sever panic attacks after that and had to go back to life, the kids a stressful job ect. I was on a low dose of Zoloft but with my doc have gone up to 150mg. When you increase you have some of the increase side effects but i am going on a little over 3 months and i feel better. . I still have bad days but not like it was a few weeks ago. For the bad times i tried to do whatever with the kids, exercise, take baths. It is hard when you are anxious and i have felt down but have pushed myself as well as going out with friends. I also talk to someone about my anxiety which i have for a long time and she is great and a big help. Anxiety is awful. I feel out of control and "not normal" at times. Try to talk to someone if you can, i know it isn't that easy with 2 little kids but try to make the time for yourself it will help a great deal. HOpe this helps smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.