sertraline, how long before it works?

Posted , 74 users are following.

Hi, I was prescribed sertraline on thursday for anxiety, Ive suffered with it since I was 11 after my dad's sudden death, I used to have panic attacks regularly as a child. I'm now 25 with a 4 and 2 year old and its began to get worse, my 4 yr old is in pre school and I get really anxious about school runs, I turn down invitations to any sort of social situations as I panic so much. I sit and worry about all most anything and it gets me really down, I just want to be worry free and able to enjoy these precious years while my children are little! Anyway I have taken 2 tablets so far (50mg) and ive had all sorts of side effects, shaking, feeling cold, nausea, teeth grinding and ringing in my ears. These I can deal with if it doesn't go too long... just wondering how long before they start to work? Just want to feel normal again sad

2 likes, 162 replies

162 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just found this site today and I was wondering how you are doing.
  • Posted

wow...im a litte tardy replying but i just started taking this crap. ive been on numerous meds/strengths and had a new type of medication bioavailibilty test done to determine what interacted best with my bio-chemistry. I believe its a new company in Ohio, (go bucks!), started doing this and theyre pioneering the way for other companies. Anyway its a simple buccal swap ths uses ur DNA to find what you personally would benefit from. I just started so I cant give any feedback yet but if it worx ill reply again but its worth asking your M.D./Psych about. I gotta say its kind of relieving to hear someone else having the same symptoms as me. Ive felt totally alienated, and a feeling as tho I dont belong in society. Ironically I like people in principle but Im to worried about how Im percieved cause I feel like a basket case. anyway I hope ur kids are doing well and keep ur chin up. Ill try to do the same....

-Ryan

• Posted

Ryan. Also in Ohio, Cbus. What ia the name of the testing and where did you have it done. Thanks for the reply. DL
  • Posted

Hi jenni did the sertraline work I'm on day 3 now and I have the shakes clenched jaw and panic but while I'm on them I feel relaxed and tired.

• Posted

I feel the same way and this is day 3 for me wondering do you feel better yet?
  • Posted

I know this thread is 3 years old but I just wanted to say I'm so glad I found it and am not alone in the way I'm feeling.

I've been taking 50mg for a little over a week and so far my anxiety is worse and I have no appetite.

All I want to do is sleep and when I wake up I'm extremely nauseous and shakey.

I wanted to stop taking them but after reading all the other peoples responses and seeing I am not alone helps.

• Posted

Hello lilmzjoy,  glad I saw your post and I see it's very recent. I'm in the same boat as you, I have to keep coming to this site for reassurance. I'm now on day 7 of Sertraline for really bad anxiety and depression. I tried to fight this awful illness without meds as they frighten me so much but it got so bad I had to give in to them. I am really struggling but I know I must persevere with them. I feel worse today than I did yesterday. Keep in touch because it looks like you started yours more or less when I started mine.

• Posted

Keep you chin up. And this conversation is still relevant. I am currently tappering off. Just hoping to clear my head. Reading about some non pharm options.
    • Posted

I started last week as well, today is my 7th day taking it.

Anxiety is fine while sitting at home but venturing outside it's through the roof. Had a doctors appointment to talk about how I was going on it today and ended up walking out. Couldn't sit there any longer.

Also, snapped a tooth on the 3rd day of taking it and went to the dentist the next day and had to do a runner on them as well lol.. after paying a bill for $420 of course and being left with half a tooth still in my head.

Really need this phase to pass cos I have to get back to the dentist and docs and take care of this stuff , but it's just impossible with these high levels of anxiety from Zoloft.

Normally if I feel like I can't handle a situation I just bring myself back down and persevere and get through it with great difficulty, or if I do bail on something like an appointment I get annoyed with myself and force myself to go back in.. on Zoloft I just have to leave.

Really need to speak to the doc about getting something like xanax to help me through the dentist and this stage.

FTR other side effects have been headaches, nausea , sleeplessness , lack of appetite, and touch wood it has cleared up my severe ibs a bit. Which is why I am persevering .

Started on 50mg dose but as I have never taken anything like this before I decided to go with 25mg for the first few days and upped it to 37.5mg , should up it to 50mg now but a bit scared to after my failing ventures in to the real world but by the sounds of it the more you take the less time it takes for the side effects to pass.

• Posted

Hi, I just took my 6th day of 50 mg and upping to 100 after 7th day. I am feeling absolutely awful, like I'm living in a nightmare because I can't sleep and all day I'm anxious and can barely sit still. How are you feeling lately? It's good to know I'm not alone.

• Posted

I have been on Sertaline 50 mg for 9 days now; Dr. added Xanax 2 days ago to help with symptoms. I am doing some better as I can now eat but still feel anxious and am extremely tired. Reading the posts on this site gives me hope that I will feel normal soon.
    • Posted

My doc just prescribed diazepam (Valium) because of the increase in anxiety from the zoloft. Never taken anything like either of these before so will see how it goes. 10th day on the zoloft, I can't see me lasting more than another 10 if things don't improve. 

• Posted

Hi!

I started taking 50mg 3 days ago and last night was the worse night I've had in a long time I thought I was going mad my anxiety was through the roof.

I'm hoping it gets better soon or I'm going to have to speak to my doctor about getting off them.

How are you getting on now?

• Posted

Hello

I'm also so glad people have recently posted.

I'm going through a Nasty separation and realised I wasn't coping so the doc prescribed me Zoloft. I'm on day 5 and so far I'm feeling very nauseous and shakey and have diareah as well as no appetite.

Has your nausea and other symptoms gone away? How long did it take?

• Posted

Dear Jolene I had all the same symptoms as you and I can not lie they lasted for 6 weeks. I too started on 50 mg for 6 weeks then increased to 100mg and have been on these tablets for 5 months. I am awaiting CBT which in U.K. I have waited 6 if not 7 months. My original assessment physchologist felt I needed 200 mg but I guess I will wait until I start therapy. I can only say that meds have stopped me overthinking at best. I still feel a sense of apathy about my situation and have very little motivation to do anything nor enjoy much. I do count my blessings I have a good partner nice home and ok money wise. But on top of my own hang ups and insecurities it has become evident that my 87 year old mother has onset of dementia and is herself in denial and yet I can just about help myself let alone think of care duties. Not that I see it as a duty but I had just taken early retirement from social work at 54 which the profession I found soul destroying and have moved to Eastleigh in Hampshire where I am living with my partner but we retain a flat in London and with my mother who is in London and alone I feel a sense of looking after her. As I say she denies she has memory or behaviour issues and denies or avoids any discussion on finances , care or better living environment
    • Posted

Hi I've been taking Sertraline for a week now for anxiety I have taken them before but stupidly took myself off 6 months ago well it came back in full force ,now I'm having heart palpitations, constant shaking and stomach ache didn't get it like this last time but it was about 7 years ago . I like advice do I persevere or change I've left a message at the doctors but I'm struggling need to go London Saturday and don't feel I can do it ..thanks

• Posted

Hi Pauline 

My daughter started taking  two weeks ago and is feeling those awful symptoms just the same as you   , it's terrible but I'm taking her to get reassurance from the doctor tomorrow I'll fill you in on what is said. 

• Posted

Hi Catherine I have spoken to my doctor on the phone and he has prescribed beta blockers until l it settles down so hope it dosnt take long as I just want to get on with my life but it's hard ..please let me know how your daughter gets on x

• Posted

Hi Pauline 

Spoke with the doctor, she was very reassuring it can take time to take effect and try to persevere and today the tears stopped my daughter 18 seems to have slightly improved today she went out to the shops  tired as she is and yawning a lot , it was a huge difference to the past week  so we are both feeling a lot more positive  that she will continue to get better as the days go on , she is attending CBT also so we're on the right road  , depression it such a terrible illness I suffer myself so I know .  We are off to LA in September so I'm  looking forward to her being in a good place   Disney has been her dream and at 18 she finically will get there all the way from Ireland  .  I will keep you posted on the improvements and hope so much you get over the difficulties soon.  Our best to you x

• Posted

I am the same hope yours has started to kick in now I can't believe I was fine until l a month ago but think it's a combination of things that has triggered it off . So hope it won't be too long before things get back on track hard when you think no one understands x

• Posted

Hi Catherine I'm glad your daughter feels a bit better I've also had a better day and I'm off to night shift soon I have a great hubby and friends but they don't really understand what it's like I would love to keep in touch and send you and your daughter positive thoughts x

• Posted

Hi, 

l was taking zoloft successfully for 20 years at 50mg. About 12 weeks ago my GP raised it to 100 mg I was starting to see improvement 3 or 4 weeks in but stayed on that dosage for 8 weeks. Today I saw a psychiatric NP who was amazing. She said the doctor should have upped the dose to 150mg 3 weeks ago to get to a therapeutic level. She also prescribed propranolol for anxiety instead of xanax. I go back in two weeks to check on progress. Make sure to monitor daily progress and keep in touch with your provider every two weeks.

• Posted

Hi lynn

Thank you for your advise  I will keep check  and I'm hoping the Cbt will benefit her in the long run 

Its a difficult place trying to adjust  to meds but I know myself things balance eventually but talking really helps its good therapy    I wish you wellness always  

• Posted

Hi Pauline

Great improvements my daughter has turned the corner and is like the happy person she deserves to be  

She tells me she still having unpleasant symptoms but they don't stay with her long.  her mood is great and in the kitchen baking ,such a contrast to a few days ago 

I hope so much for her to manage her depression with all the help possible and live happily 

My own pops up and I try to remind myself it will pass  but it's always a battle I face on and off it's so nice to chat and share feelings 

I hope today is a good day for you and really like this keep in touch   

Catherine 😊

• Posted

Hey do you think the reason we never hear from people on the forum again is cause they get better and dont need to talk anymore?
    • Posted

In the same boat as you,taking this for bad anxiety,been on it for seven days and my anxiety is through the roof,trying to stick with it but it's very hard,just need a break from it all been going on since April ...

• Posted

Hi Patricia just wondering how you are now with the sertraline? I have been taking 50mg for nearly 3 weeks but still feeling so low and like a vegetable not seeing anyone, not looking after myself etc. Any help gratefully received.
    • Posted

Hi Maria ,

How are you feeling on sertraline now ? I have been on 25 for 2 weeks then 50 for just over 4 weeks I think I'm feeling slighty better but still sufffering with anxiety symptoms . Be great to hear back from you xx

• Posted

Hi Faye, hope you all don’t mind me jumping in this post! I’ve just retuned from my docs where I’ve been prescribed sertraline for moderate to severe depression. 4 weeks ago I broke up with my long term partner after years of me pushing him away constantly, until finally he could take no more. I’ve started to see a counsellor and finally reaslised this has come from my previous relationship where I lived through 7 years or psychologically domestic abuse. I’ve literally only realise this is what it was this week. I thought I had put everything locked in a box in the back of my mind and occasionally one bad memory would rear it’s head and I would react badly, pushing my partner away and generally not being a nice person. Now I understand where my behaviour stems from the box is fully open and everything is laid out. I am particularly worried about becoming addicted to this med, as I do have an addictive personality, but reading all your wonderful comments has helped with that. I am planning on taking this from tomorrow morning, and hopefully things will start to get clearer so I can move on. It’s also great to speak with like minded people and not untrained people like my mum, who means the best but says things like “Just stop feeling that way” as it’s impossible. 

I welcome any replies x

• Posted

Hi Leanne you won't become addicted to this Med so don't worry about that . What dosage are you starting at ? You will be absolutely fine xx

• Posted

Hi my husband started sertroline 10 weeks ago. He started off on 25mgs and gradually went up to 50mgs. He doesn't seem to be improving very much and is thinking of increasing dose again. How long does this med usually take to work?

• Posted

good luck to you,  take all the help offered to you and you will get through this is a crappy time,  but as my Councellor told me.  “Life can be wonderful “ I now have a daughter suffering with depression I’m trying to do everything I can but professional help is the best    We just back from a walk together it’s difficult to be strong always cause I want to crack myself but I’ll keep going and you will and all of us can have a wonderful life.  It’s there for us 🌼

• Posted

I'm on week 6 and feeling a lot better but was on 50mg without much effect. Gp said that was a titchy amount and upped it to 100mg a couple of weeks ago. Think they say 6 to 8 weeks. Maybe time for him to see his GP about increasing dose? My doctor said 150mg to 200mg can be the dose. I hope he feels better soon. I was very, very sleepy on my higher dose to begin with but seems to be getting better. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.