sertraline made me manic has anyone else had this

Posted , 8 users are following.

after a few weeks of taking sertraline for depression (i would usually take citalopram but the gp said this was no longer being used) i felt on top of the world but after an emotional day at work my ability to cope with my emotions disappeared i became very tearful and quite aggressive towards my husband resulting in me smashing the house up. now this is not me, i'm a quiet depressive and this behaviour shocked and scared me. when i spoke to the doctor she said it was because i drank but ive always enjoyed the odd glass throughout my 20 year history of depressive episodes and never behaved like this and can only put it down to the sertraline. thankfully a different gp listened to me and put me back on citalopram but am keen to know has anyone else experienced this manic and out of control behaviour linked to sertraline?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I suspect Prozac had the monopoly on Sertaline at the time I took it and now people are getting the generic Sertraline.

I didn't mention that when I was taking Prozac, it blew me up like a Michelin man and yet, a friend of a friend had been put on them at the same time and she went like a skeleton and couldn't eat. She is normally a big lady and I'm normally not.

• Posted

Sorry, I was confused. Prozac if fluoxetine, I'm sure now.
  • Posted

A friend is on setraline and had a manic episode that came on suddenly. Any recommendations on helping her to recovery? What will she be like when she does recover?
  • Posted

Hi Natasha

Yes I've experienced the same. I used to take Prozac, which worked wonders for me. Unfortunately a traumatic life event threw me and I had a breakdown and became unstable and suicidal.

My psychiatrist then prescribed me on sertraline. I've been taking it for a month and a half now. I started on 50mg daily, it's recently been upped to 75mg. It has done absolutely nothing for me but made me manic. My mood swings wildly daily. To the point whereby I've begun to think I have bipolar disorder. Which I don't, as I've been advised so by 5 health professionals. It is a horrible drug that has made me feel worse about myself. I am hoping to change it immeaditely. Thankfully I saw your post otherwise I'd still be under the impression that I have bipolar. Seeing this post and the response it got gave me peace of mind to know that I'm not the only one that has begun to experience mania after using this drug.

I hope you're well.

Regards,

Wesley.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.