sertraline making ocd worse???

Posted , 3 users are following.

so I have been on 100 mgs since September 11thish and I am finding this ocd thingy  getting worse.  I have a  bad habit of counting on my fingers, no one knows or can tell, but I play around with letter on my fingers and it drives me nuts but lately its been even worse then normal!  not sure if it is some mild type of ocd or what it is but I need it to go away now!  tonight I took only 75 mgs of sertraline with the intent of weaning back down to 50 mgs to see if it lets up at all.  any advice and can this make it worse???

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The recommended dose is 200 mg for OCD but that is for severe, troubling forms. When I first got up to that, it did wonders for my depression and anxiety, but the Pure-O symptoms were much worse for around a month.  They are slowly subsiding but I am doing CBT/Exposure therapy now.
    • Posted

Hi avril, I've been on 75mg Sertraline for a few months now, I started taking it for a servere form of OCD that I've had for years. Although my family have noticed I appear to be coping slightly better recently and I feel the depression doesn't over Whelm me quite as much as it did, I haven't felt any improvement in the OCD symptoms. Would you say that 75mg isn't a high enough dose to help the OCD? or would you say that if it was going to help me it would have already at 75mg?. I'm nervous of increasing in case it doesnt make any difference.. Thank you.

• Posted

I personally felt benefit once I reached 200 mg, but you might not need as much.  It might be better to increase in very small increments to reduce side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.