Sertraline, menopause and thyroid.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi to you all, I hope your having a good day.

I am 51 and have been on 100mg sertraline for about 2 months, in the beginning I was on 50 not really helpful so increased, I feel a little better at certain times of the month, I am menopausal and have hashimotos disease still not confirmed after 4 years, it started when the meno started.

confused is not the word am I sweating because of meds or the lack of hrt or over medicated on thyroxine.

did anyone else suffer with really excessive sweating, buzzing in ears, rashes.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had extreme sweating especially at night. It was like someone had thrown a bucket of water over me. I also had the buzzing in my ears. I was on 100mg a day
    • Posted

Hi Angela 

has it resolved now, I have only been on it for a couple of months, but I think it may have been there before the sertraline, I have been refered to ENT possible labrinthytus, gp thought Ménière's at first,  I can't tell if it's menopause sweating or medication but it's not pleasant.

• Posted

It became better over time but didn't stop altogether for me but it was mainly on a night anyway so it didn't become a massive issue. I stopped taking them 9 months ago after 2 years as i felt stronger than ever. Stick with them hopefully it will calm down once your body gets used to them. smile good luck
  • Posted

Hi scampi ,if its any help, I sweat profusely at night mainly.I've been on sertraline for about a year varying between 50 & 100mg. The difference is that I am a guy of 55.

Maybe we get meno symptoms as well, not sure, I think the jury is still out on that one!

Seriously though, I think the sertraline makes people sweat excessively from what I've experienced and from what I've been reading.

Hope that this helps a bit.

Take care

Jcee

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  I will be changing meds if that is the case,  I already get menopausal sweats which are bad, I think the buzzing may be from BPPV positional vertigo.

😊 

• Posted

I agree with Jcee, I've been on Sertraline for about 3 months and still sweat profusely at night, it's the only side effect I get now!
  • Posted

Hi, I have underactive thyroid and suffering mega sweats from menopause. My dr has tried lots of mess (can't have hrt) and has now given me 100mg sertraline up from 50mg to to stop my hot sweats even tho it's a side effect as you say. How bizarre is that?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.