Sertraline not working

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have been on sertraline for 3 months., previously I was on clomipramine for 31 years but had to come off that because of uncontrollable high blood pressure, the transition was horrendous. I started on 50mg sertraline until eventually i was on 200mg with 160 mg of propranolol. Unfortunately this is not working for me as well as still being anxious and depressed it has caused my heart to slow down and really bad breathlessness, i was in such h a state i had an emergent appointment with my GP. I now have to come off this medication quickly over the next 2 weeks , decreasing 50mg every 3 to 4 days. My question is has this happened to anyone else. I have read how good sertraline is once all the side effects have gone, but what is the alternative,and will the transition be as difficult, I'm worried that i won't find one that suits me, i am 57 and in the throes of menopause which isn't helping,sorry for the long post and thanyou in advance for any replies x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tina.

I'm a bit like you, iv been on sertraline for 8weeks and still getting side

effects on and off still I'm only on 25mg.

I picked up another prescription and it's a different manufacturer and

today iv felt so poorly, Side effects I was getting and more.

I spoke to my GP 2 weeks ago and she said if I'm no better she will try me on another, she said she will put me on the same strenghth and she said I can stop sertraline one day and start the other one the next.

I shouldnt feel like this at 8+ weeks. So I think im going to have to give another one ago. Carnt feel any worse than what I do at the moment.

But not every A/D suits everyone and like you I'm worried incase non suit me.

Hope we both get sorted soon

• Posted

Hi Julie thanks for your reply, like you i still had side effects for ages

Then I'd get a good day and start thinking i had turned a corner then

I would be at rock bottom again, I'm sorry your having a bad day it

Really is the pits isn't it. I feel a bit more optimistic because if i start

Another AD it will be one step closer to finding something suitable

I just feel like i have gone through so much with no result,hope you

Start feeling better soon, don't keep suffering keep in touch with

Your GP, just keep telling yourself you will get better it just takes time,I will

Look for your posts and follow your progress x

• Posted

Good morning Tina.

thank you for the reply.

im 57 this year, on hrt. Had a lot of stress over the past few years

my husband dying of cancer 9years ago and a lot more issued es to many to mention, I suppose it's all coming out now in the form of anxiety.

i don't think I'm depressed, feel down at mo because I thought I'd be sorted at 8 weeks of taking Sertraline, I'm not as anxious as I was, my heart rate sometimes goes up, but usually it's fine, I was put on beta blockers at one stage because it was going crazy, but had to come off them because my already low BP dropped to much I was fainting. Also I was suffering with acid Reflux and was on medication for that, but I control that with watching what I eat and gaviscon now.

i couldn't cope anymore with Heath Anxiety so asked for help. 

Hense being on sertraline 

we must all be so stronge in some way because admitting we need help and starting on A/Ds is no mean feat. 

Hope you have a good day. X

• Posted

Aw you have had a rough time too, I'm so sorry , sometimes we are so focused on ourselves we forget there are others going through bad times too, and being menopausal just makes things worse.I hope you get relief from anxiety soon, enjoy your day x

• Posted

Hi Julie, i have found an app called mindshift see if you can download it, it has got some good points on it, you might find something? that will help👍

• Posted

Thank you for that Trina

Iv downloaded it.

Will have a better look at it this afternoon x

• Posted

Hi Trina

That dose of propranolol sounds really high

and Sertraline lowers blood pressure aswell

No wonder you feel like rubbish, has your Gp lowered the propranolol too?

• Posted

Good morning Lesley thank you for your reply, yes the propanolol was very high,but i was in a really bad way with the transition and can't have benzos, I am now on 80mg plus promazine when needed . I have to grit my teeth and hope the next ADs work x

• Posted

I'm 59 and post menopause, having issues with my HRT, first on low dose then on the high dose, then they couldn't get the high dose so put the dose down again and felt the anxiety and depression coming back and feel as though I'm being poisoned 🤢 So last night I didn't take my Hrt just my Sertraline and don't feel as bad this morning

Hope you get something to suit you keep us posted 😉

• Posted

Trina, sorry to hear about menopause. I think I am premenopausal and even then it doesn't feel good and nearing my mid 40s I dread the menopause that is just around the corner. I have been on and off z practically my whole adult life, about 2 decades. I take it for OCD pure o, anxiety, depression. I can't speak to the switchover from one med to next or menopause  but after being on this med for so long, I can tell you a few things from my personal experiences: this med will make you feel much worse before it makes you feel better, the side effects could take much more than 2 months to disappear, my severe neck stiffness finally went about about a week or so ago after 4 months! Perhaps you can take Ativan while on this med to help with the side effects. Ativan was really helpful for me because it relaxed me and gave me sleep but this fast acting benzo wears off quickly and could be addicting. What else, it seems to me and this is just a guess, it seems to me that when you get off one med, you need like 3 months to clear it out of your system before taking another antidepressant, but I am not sure. I remember the fist time I restarted this med I feared it wouldn't work and switched to Prozac for one day and it was a nightmare and I went back to Zoloft the next day!!! It seems to me that all of these antidepressants don't interact well with each other. Perhaps you also need other Ned's for HRT? I don't know. I feel for you. Please try to stay strong, it will get better but also be gentle with yourself. Xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, it's good to talk to others in the same place as ourselves, i have decided not to worry about changing meds, what will be will be, At least i know how bad it can get so it might even not be as bad as before, my GP has been really good and has been with me all the way,so i know they will be looking for an alternative, i am going to ask to see a psychiatrist ,i feel they will know better about meds, i am waiting for CBT but there is a waiting list, i decided against hrtbecause i had a hysterectomy a few years ago due to bad periods and abnormal smear tests, i don't know how far along with menopause i am because i still have my ovaries,so it's all guess work really , you have been a godsend for me on this forum, i always follow your posts and i thank you very much😂😂

• Posted

Trina, it's God doing work thru me so I hope he convicts me to say the right things at the right time. Thank God, don't ever thank me. smile 

Sounds like you are a very strong woman, you will feel better, hang in there. 

I get very bad periods, too. In the past year or so I have gone months without my period and then when I do have my period it is extremely heavy..it's like all those months of missing eggs get dropped at once. Lol.

btw, it doesn't should like you are in menopause. Someone told me you are officially in menopause if you do not have a single period consecutively for 12 months. I think you are like me, premenopausal. Like you, I already decided no HRT for me. I am just going to do the natural way and ride this out, if I can, God willing. Take care. I know this is a very tough time, so get plenty of rest and sleep, try not to get stressed, try to eat, and do whatever that relaxes you and gives you solace. May God bless you and heal you soon. Xx.

• Posted

I haven't had a period for over 10 years since the hysterectomy, but I'm still having the night sweats, hot flushes etc, i think i must be coming to the end soon because I've had all the menopausal symptoms for about 5/6 years.i think we women are a lot stronger than we think do you lol💪💪💪

• Posted

Sorry, I was wrong about your menopause. Wow. Goodness gracious, I didn't know menopause lasts that long. I think men are physically stronger but I think women are mentally stronger. I don't think I am strong at all, but I think in my weakness is my strength, if that makes any sense. For that in my weakness I am made strong, not that I want to be or have a choice, really, if you know what I mean. Lol. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.