sertraline & Paroxetine.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I am taking 20mg of Citalopram for depression due to body dismorphia. On it a month not kicked in yet, very bad side effects.

I was prescribed this as I had taken it before and it worked ok.

I have a new doctor and she seems to think that I would be better on Sertraline or Paroxetine.

Looking for advice regarding these meds.

Also...I am suffering very bad anxiety. Anyone with experience of meds that work well for that.

Thanks for your time.

Sophie

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi i am on sertraline and they get rid of the anxiety as well, never tried the other ones you r on..sertraline were and are very good 
    • Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Did the Sertraline give you bad side effects? The Citalopram is just awful for them.

My doctor says I will have to wean myself of the Citalopram which could take me weeks.

I am desperate to feel a little better. How long did it take you to see the benefits?

Sorry for all the questions but I am so very down at the moment

Thanks again

Sophie ☺ xx

• Posted

Hi, I've been on Sertraline for. 5 years. Just coming off it. It was prescribed because of it's anti anxiety properties. Takes a while to work but effective for anxiety.

good luck

• Posted

Hi there ,

I just was wondering when u taking off the Sertraline how did u feel? After 10 years I am stopping it due to pregnancy but I am not feeling well nausea electrical shock and full of fearsad((

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. When you say it takes a while to work, roughly how long did it take for you. My doctor says I will have to wean myself off the Citalopram which could take weeks. I am desperate to feel a bit better.

Did the Sertraline give you bad side effects? The Citalopram is awful for that.

Thanks again.☺

• Posted

could your anxiety be because of your pregnacy, i have been on mine 9 years and trying myself to come off them.. My problem is anger going up and down and i have come down one tablet was on 150 now 100..i am finding it hard , but i am going to stick with it..when you have anxiety dont feed of your negative thoughts because it feeds it. manifests it..tell them to go away, have you tried rescue remedy, which is a spray u put on your tongue , it is herbal. i found that worked for me , but it could be mind over matter....keep strong..
    • Posted

Hiya Maria,

I'm not the lady that's pregnant. I was asking about Sertraline and it's side effects etc.

Thanks

Sophie ☺ xx

• Posted

o sorry sophie ..i dont really have any..except i dont have feelings , seems as the doctor told me put a sheild in front off you so you are not as funrable ..still have ups and downs with life ... other tablets i was on made me eat loads , and i thought if i put weight on that would just make me more depressed. lol
  • Posted

Hi Sophiethecat20,

I think the effects of Sertraline were noticeable after about 6 weeks but probably the full effects not until 3 months or so. I think some people find they work more quickly. I have always been on a dose of 50mg and cut that to half some months ago with no real withdrawal symptoms. I cut it further to a quarter, and then to a quarter every other day,and I have to admit I have experienced some side effects of tapering them off. Hot and cold flushes, light headedness, thirst, wooziness, headache, unusual dreams, feeling of 'engine racing'. I'm trying to stick to the quarter tablet every other day, but if I take a little bit more the symptoms subside, but I really want to be off them so will try to put up with side effects. 

• Posted

Hi Sophie

I am on 50mg for Anxiety and mild deppression for the last ten weeks and I have to say that they take time to work, and been honest the side effects for me were pretty bad and some lasted for weeks but I put up with them and there is light at the end of it belive me. I found that they started to kick in for me at about week four to about week six or seven where I was about eighty percent myself then I had about a week or so where I had a good few low days and a few good days but in the last week or so I have been almost myself again and feeling a lot better. I have been told that the tablets can take up to three months to level out and for them to work at full strenght, I go walking most days for an hour or so and spend as much time as I can outside in the fresh air and I find that this is helping me especially when I am having a bad day but I force myself to do it and I feel much better after. This site has been a life saver also as when things are low and advice is needed I found that there are good people out there that are going through the same thing or have been through the same thing at some stage and that has helped me also. so sorry to go on Sophie but I just got carried away so if you need any thing just drop a line.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.