Sertraline positive story, 10 weeks in

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was suffering from terrible anxiety and depression when I went to see my doctor. I was prescribed 50mg of sertraline per day to begin with and I’ve got to say the first 3-4 weeks were very hard. The first 2 weeks I experienced an increase in my anxiety and barely felt able to go to my local shop, during weeks 3-4 I noticed my anxiety decrease quite a bit but was very up and down with my moods from day to day. After a month I went back to see my doctor who suggested I up the sertraline to 100mg a day, I disagreed with this and decided to just go up to 75mg per day, didn’t want to go up too quickly and have anymore horrible side effects. I have been taking the 75mg per day for 6-7 weeks now (plus the first month on the 50mg) as well as exercising and I pretty much feel back to myself again, at the beginning I was in a very bad way and couldn’t see a way out but if your are reading this and are feeling terrible just know there is hope and you can fight your way back to feeling like you again.  If anyone needs to talk or any advice, feel free to message me, here to help. All the best everyone 

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi jay

This post has helped me no end thank you. I was on 50 mg for 6 weeks and went straight up to 100 mg . I wish I had read these first. I seem to be improving after 10 days on 100 but it is small changes anxiety is still heightened but not as bad . Have you any insight to the length of time that you can fully function while still improving .

James

• Posted

Hi James

Glad to hear you are improving, even if only a little bit at the moment, it’s all progress. I’ve got to say I started real improvement after a week or so of taking the 75mg, I had up and down days during this time but found I was able to fully function since then and I would say I’m still seeing signs of improvement now. Good luck, hope you carry on improving 

• Posted

Hi jay

This post has helped me no end thank you. I was on 50 mg for 6 weeks and went straight up to 100 mg . I wish I had read these first. I seem to be improving after 10 days on 100 but it is small changes anxiety is still heightened but not as bad . Have you any insight to the length of time that you can fully function while still improving .

James

• Posted

Do you have sweats or feel hot on them
    • Posted

Hi mrs Susan 

I would say I do sweat more than before I was taking the sertraline when I’m working (I have a physical job) but no change when relaxing. Not really noticed feeling any hotter than before.

It does list this as a possible side effect in the patient leaflet, might be worth discussing with your doctor if you’re finding it a problem.

Hope you feel better soon 

Jay 

• Posted

Hi James what a positive post. I am 7 weeks in now, only in 50. Doing ok, started to kick in on 5th week, then bloody side effects of diarrhoea. Hope this settles in the next few weeks .
    • Posted

Hi kells 

One of the most unpleasant side effects!

I had a bit of trouble with diarrhoea the first few weeks I was taking the medication but it soon settled and all seems ok now.

Hope yours settles soon and you keep improving. 

All the best 

Jay

• Posted

Thanks Jay, when you feel dep/aniexty, you think the side effects are never gona go, bloody anoying. Do you take anything for it, im taking 2 imdoium every morning. Just a little worried taking it every day. it dont always stops it, but helps relives it.
    • Posted

No worries kells.

I didn’t take anything for it when I had it and thankfully it went away on its own after the first couple of weeks.

If it’s causing you trouble probably a good idea to talk to your doctor. 

Take care 

Jay

• Posted

Did anybody get goosebumps starting sertraline? 
    • Posted

Hi Jessica 

Can’t say I had any goosebumps as a side effect. 

Hope you feel better soon 

Jay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.