Sertraline Question re: OCD/Anxiety/Intrusive Thoughts

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started taking 25mg of Sertraline for 3 days and then 50mg for the past 8 weeks. I began suffering agoraphobic anxiety at the age of 24. I've always known I've had some form of OCD but after having my first panic attack in a checkout line at a store, I obsessed over it so much that I would talk myself into a panic attack any time I was in a store, not near an exit, couldn't get out of a situation to a safe place, basically. I took alprazolam as needed. I felt I was getting better and then I began having generalized anxiety, even just at home, driving, etc. Then, it turned into depression. I would beat myself up for not being independent enough. I'm now 28 and feel I'm at a low point, probably the lowest. What was once just anxiety in stores is now general anxiety and severe intrusive thoughts that scare the crap out of me. A thought will pop up and I feel out of control of my emotions. "What if I lose my mind?" "What if I do something drastic?" "What if I say something I shouldn't?" What if I just scream right now?" I ruminate so much so that I feel I will actually lose control of myself. Somewhat of a backstory...before the age of 24, I never had these issues. I was very dependent, happy, confident within myself and my mind and content. I will say I don't feel depressed anymore like I was feeling prior to starting Sertraline. But is 50mg not enough for the anxiety and intrusive thoughts? Today I took 75mg. I would like to hear other people's stories with Sertraline and the issues they are overcoming. I don't know if this matters but I take my Sertraline upon waking up in the mornings. So long story short, after 8 weeks on 50mg of Sertraline I no longer feel depressed but still suffer from general anxiety, intrusive thoughts and still fear going to stores alone to the point where I can't unless I take alprazolam. Anything helps! Thank you!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.