Sertraline - scary thoughts (Help)

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm new to here and I've been having these really weird/sick sexual thoughts (pls don't judge) that really scare and upset me. I've been on the lowest Sertraline dosage for over a month for anxiety. Could the pills be causing the thoughts? Is this normal?? I'm terrified of being sectioned or something like that. What should i do? How can I get them to stop?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bull, intrusive thoughts are very normal, don't be scared, tell your doctor, and most likely will increase you to 50, and don't be afraid to ask for something to help your mood, diazipam,lorazepam,xanax, they will help you through the tough patches. Hope this helps, Tim

• Posted

Thanks. What were the content of your thoughts if you don't mind me asking? Have you got OCD?

• Posted

No I don't have ocd, stress, anxiety from my business caused tinnitus, that was driving me crazy, so doc started me on zoloft 25, for a week, then went to 50, that's when intrusive thoughts started, doing harm to myself, I'm getting worse, panic attacks were hitting me in middle of day ,I would go home cause I was afraid I might harm someone, feeling I was never going to get better, I can't live this way, went back to doctor week 4 she increased me to 100mg, and gave me 1mg zanax for mood, within a couple days I was feeling better. Seem to be moving forward now, but still have days when ears ring bad and can be very annoying I've been through 8 weeks now, intrusive thoughts ended midway through 4th week. Hope this helps, here anytime want to talk. Tim

• Posted

Ho i also have nadty thoughts i did a post abit further down, they do die down and eventually go mine havent gone but deffinately aint ad bad as they were
  • Posted

No, the thought is OCD. You are like me, a pure O. When the thought or images come, do not fight them and do not reason or argue against them – you will NOT win. The best way I could describe this is like your brain fighting with your mind and the casualty would be you. If you can, try to keep occupied. If the thought or image comes, try to laugh it off, knowing you won’t do whatever you feared. Other than that, the med will help reduce the intensity of these thoughts/images. And even if they do come, it’s easy to dismiss them. Take care. Xx.

• Posted

Thanks for the message. Did Sertraline cause your thoughts? Ive only had these thoughts whilst on the Accord Sertraline. The thoughts feel so real and seem to convince myself that they're reality.

• Posted

From my own experience sertraline does not cause these thoughts. They may intensify the obsession for a bit, but only for a short period, but the med will help reduce the firing of these thoughts and images. 

I have had really strange thoughts, weird thoughts, etc. but just remember, thoughts are just that. Thoughts, they come and go, and not actions. Thoughts are worth a dime a dozen. 

It it seems to me that you need to up your dose. It's been a month, so the side effects shouldn't be that bad. 

• Posted

Anyone else had these kind of thoughts?
  • Posted

I'm struggling with something similar in that these obsessive unpleasant thoughts are rotating. I swear it's the Sertraline!!!

• Posted

i started on sertraline 5 weeks ago and was getting really scary intrusive thoughts that ive never had before!! ive never been as scared as ive been the last 5 weeks i lost over a stone in weight!! you are not alone and i swear its the sertraline!! my doctor advised to stop the medication and the last 4 days they seem to be slowly going... of course speak to your GP before stopping but i would 100% speak to them about it. You arent alone and mostly everybody suffers with intrusive thoughts at some point in their life. its just not fair the people like us have to go through things like this. PM me if your feeling like you dont know where to turn because trust me i have been there and i know how scary it is. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.