Sertraline shoulder tension & globus sensation

Posted , 1 user is following.

I would be very grateful for some advice if possible?

I have taken Sertraline for a number of years to treat anxiety, OCD and depression. That said I have had breaks (or taken it very infrequently)

I have recently returned Sertraline (February on 100mg) and have now built myself up to 150mg per day. I have been on 150mg for almost 7 weeks now.

My mental health has definitely started to improve but I have this really unpleasant side-effect of globus sensation (lump in throat feeling) and horrible tension across my neck and shoulders. I also clench my teeth. It does come and go a little but is there for most of the day.

Whilst I do generally experience globus sensation as a symptom of my anxiety I suspect this time it is a side effect of the medication at it comes with the neck tension and teeth clenching.

I haven’t had these side affects with Sertraline when I have used it in the past.

My question is should it have started to go after 7 weeks or is my body still getting used to the medication and 150mg dose?

I’m wondering how long I should leave it before asking the GP if I can try a different medication?

Note - although overall my mental health is improving I still wake up feeling anxious and panicky. This tends to calm down within a short time. This issues I mention above stays most of the day.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.