Sertraline - side effects, teeth grinding.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I've been on sertraline 100mg around 2 years now, does anyone else suffer from teeth grinding or jaw clenching? I spoke to my friend who also suffered the same thing and I was just wondering wether it is a common thing, if it stops when you reduce or stop taking the sertraline or if it's completely unrelated. I'd also like some advice on how to stop or lessen the grinding as I wake up every morning in pain and I'm worried I'm damaging my teeth and gums! Thanks!!!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessica, I was on sertaline a few years ago and I used to grind my teeth, it stopped when I came off the tablets. I've started back on them 18days ago and I've been clenching my jaw so has been achy. My dentist ever mentioned anything last time about my grinding but maybe go along and have a check up and see xx

• Posted

Great, I'll go along to see the dentist, relieved that I'm not the only one! Thankyou smile hope all goes well for you xxx

• Posted

Hey Jess,

I have been clenching my jaw alot on 50mg, and I would often not realize I was doing it until checking. I've not noticed clenching after having gone up to 75mg however. Perhaps your dose is not as effective anymore? Just a thought smile

• Posted

Ahh! Makes sense, thanks for the reply! I'll go back to the doctors and speak to themsmile

• Posted

I have been on and off sert for 20 years and I was told that I clench my jaws and grind my teeth in my sleep and I wasn't even aware of it! My dentist had a mold made for me to wear at night so it wouldn't damage my gums too much. I don't use the mold though as that doesn't bother me as much as the  pain and stiffness of my neck, no matter how many times I try to crack it. Hopefully it goes away in a few weeks. Started back 100mg on nov 19. 

• Posted

Ah I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!! Thanks for the reply smile hope all goes well for you

• Posted

I suffered this on day one (I am now on day 4)

I asked my gp yesterday about it and she said it is normal and gave me diazepam

It hasn't helped and my jaw is actually sore with it.

She said it should go within the next few days.

How long have u been on them?

• Posted

I've been on them about two years sad I feel as if the jaw clenching is getting worse, maybe I should go back and tell the doctors! Hope all goes well for you!

• Posted

I am not coping very well today so have decided I'm not going out or answering my fone.

Feeling very weepy and worried.

Yeah Def contact the doc to see about the teeth grinding.

Good luck to you too

• Posted

I too have this side effect of Zoloft

I do it subconsciously

​My jaw aches and my gums

I believe this side effect is more common than stated in the contraindications

• Posted

’m so glad I found this thread! I’ve been trolling through the internet about it! Im on day one of Sertraline 50mg and literally 4/5 hours after taking me first tablet my jaw is absolutely aching!! I can’t believe it’s a side effect from these I did not think you could get the side effects this quick!?!? 
  • Posted

I’m so glad I found this thread! I’ve been trolling through the internet about it! Im on day one of Sertraline 50mg and literally 4/5 hours after taking me first tablet my jaw is absolutely aching!! I can’t believe it’s a side effect from these I did not think you could get the side effects this quick!?!? 
  • Posted

just started today been eventful! nearly made a mess in my pants as it properly makes your stomach funny! ive been gurning since about 10am haha it feels like i used to feel coming up of ecstacy when i was younger. all in decent id say but yeh im noticing teeth clenching. still ive not wanted to die today so thats a bonus. god bless you all we got this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.