Sertraline side effects? What the hell is wrong with my chest? :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

I posted on here earlier and nobody replied sad

I'm feeling really weird. I started taking Sertraline on Sunday 25mg. Woke up Monday morning with a sore throat. Then Monday evening my chest started hurting and I could feel it hurting inside my chest and my back. I thought I was having a heart attack.

Tuesday I was short of breath all day, then later on felt like I couldn't catch my breath and couldn't get enough oxygen into my lungs. So I took a lorazepam, felt better and went to sleep

Wednesday was the same as Tuesday except chest pain was back again.

Now today I've had chest pain, hurts when I breathe like my lungs hurt or something plus it feels like my heart is aching. Also got pins and needles in hands and feet.

Went to see a on call gp and they just listened to my chest and said everything's fine. Said I had a viral thing cos I also had swollen tonsil and blood in phlegm.

I'm really scared. It's so uncomfortable that my chest hurts and especially when I breathe. It's like a deep ache inside and Allover. Any ideas? Is it the Sertraline ?

Not felt like this until I started taking it.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear justineclarice, Hi I am sorry to hear that you are unwell.... Please do not worry that your problems are caused by the sertraline... I have been taking 100-150mgs every day for the last 10yrs.. it is a very safe antidepressant with few side effects, it is important that you take when I you have been prescribed.... it certainly sounds as though you have a viral throat and chest infection, this will soon begin to improve... take some paracetamol for any aches and pains, also gargle with dispersable aspirin, this will help your sore throat... pamper yourself, keep warm, plenty of rest, have light meals if you feel able, and generally take things easy,

Of course, if you do not improve and have any real difficulties swallowing, or you have breathing difficulties then contact your GP straight away....

These viruses are very, very common this time of year and are generally harmless.... so please, please try not to worry, you will be fine, great big we hugs to you, Deirdre xxx...

Sorry not to answer sooner, we had to pop out to our daughters for half an hour... take care please,, all on this forum are lovely, lovely, lovely people...xx

• Posted

Hi Justine. Please try not to worry. Even the smallest ache/pain or twitch seems far bigger than it is when you have anxiety. Our minds over think and send our thoughts spiralling out of control.  I Started a chest infection and it coincided wirh a panic attack and since then i have visited the Asthma nurse as I couldnt breathe, dry mouth,  felt like throat closing, thought had allergic reaction. Back to Dr. Tests done. All ok. So, now everytime i start to feel a little breathless or cough I start with the anxiety/panic feeling. The Dr. gve me Sertraline and I still havent taken it. Was worried I would react to that too. Dr said in all his years of practice he had only ever had I patient that couldnt get on with Sertraline. And it wasnt from a bad reaction, just felt it wasnt improving the situation. So, i am going to grit my teeth and take it whilst at home this weekend. I have had enough of the horrid background anxiety and the feeling of being out of control. To be honest im not sure i could feel any worse so not really much to lose. Hopefully if you can stick with it for  the next six to eight weeks you will start to pick up a little. Because of anxiety our immune systems dont function so well and therefore we are prone to picking every bug/ ailment going. Then, sadly, back to square one and the cycle begins again. Like Deidre suggested. Keep warm, take any medication that's prescribed to help you.  Try and distract yourself with the TV /radio and  keep telling yourself you are better than this  and can,  and will get through it. You will feel out of sorts ordinarily with a viral infection that  is normal. I truly hope that you start to turn a corner soon and at least have some peace of mind.x
    • Posted

Thank you for your lovely message smile

I'm going to put my chest pain down as inflammation of the muscles or something and continue taking Sertraline. I've only taken it for a few days but I do feel different already.

I guess you're right with the nothing left to lost part, I don't think anything could be worse than constantly thinking I'm going to die everyday from some stupid illness. I drive myself mad.

Good luck with the Sertraline smile im liking the very minimum side effects and how I can get a decent amount of sleep.

Xx

• Posted

Thank you. 👍I drive myself mad too.., it seems very real at the time doesnt it? Pleased you feel alittle different. Might just be the boost you need. I realise its not so simple sometimes, but got to give it a try. 

All crossed your chest problem clears and you begin to feel a little better. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.