Sertraline stopped working - different manufacturer?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on sertraline for about 4 months, started on 50mg for two weeks then up to 100mg. They helped me tremendously - I was going out every day and felt so much happier in myself. When I had my review with my dr I told him I still felt a little uncomfortable with going too far away from home so he prescribed me 150mg. As they're in two different forms (100mg and a 50) I never started taking both as I was happy, for now, with how I was feeling. I almost had a normal life again!

But in the past week I've been feeling really bad again, I went into town (about a 15 minute walk) as I do so very often now and I felt panicky - I was so close to getting a cab home. I've been VERY irritable and I just have a feeling of dread all the time. Since these symptoms have returned the only change is the manufacturer of my tablets - I didn't even realise they'd changed, I knew the box was different but thought nothing of it. I was on Teva before and now I'm on Actavis. The only reason I noticed the manufacturer was different was because I had to get my box and actually make sure sertraline was in there! Because I feel completly different to before. Is this a likely cause of my symptoms returning? I'm sure if I asked the doctor he would say no but I'm so upset to be feeling this way again.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jess,

No, the change of manufacturer is highly unlikely to be responsible for the way you feel. The patent for original setraline (trade name Zolofit, manufactured by Pfizer) expired in 2006 and since then all pharmaceutical companies are able to produce generic forms of sertraline for a fraction of costs. However, all of them have to demonstrate that their products are bioequivalent to the original drug - this means that they contain the same amount of the active ingredient and have the same release profile. These parameters are rigorously checked for each series.

I would recommend following the instructions of your doc and increasing the dose to 150 mg. If after 1-2 week you still don't feel fine, go and speak to the doc again.

• Posted

always stick to the same brand/maker for example mine is Lupin and I got my GP to state this on my prescription so the chemist can only give you that brand stated

it does make a difference   

• Posted

There seems to be conflicting opinions on this! But I am going to see about getting my old brand. The only thing is Teva and Actavis are merging apparantly. But the last two days I've found it impossible to swallow these new tablets - to the point where I'm sick and my throat burns all day so I'm going to ask my doctor for advice.

• Posted

Hi jessica84903 if some people knew what they were on about there would be no conflicting opinions LOLcheesygrin  

stick to the same brand girl I have even had this discussion with my GP

and he agreed with my opinion  [color=#3a2e28]it does make a big difference if you swap brand name's [/color]

• Posted

Hello Jessica

When we go on a medication the inventing company has a period of protection. Eventually the drug manufacturer loses this protection and other companies can make a similar copy of the drug, this is then called a generic medication that is virtually the same as the original. One thing is different however is cost. The GENERIC is much cheaper than the original medication.

Even when this happens the original medication produced is still more expensive, generally and the Generic is cheaper, so your GP will go for the generic.

At this time medications can be the same in different parts of th World. They will then be differnt colours. I have a medication like this the original medication was white and orange. The other casul is blue and a further capsule is pure whight. It all depends where the chemist or surgery are getting the cheaper drug, or it can be the only place that has a supply of the drug. The generic also may be called a different name. My Wife needs to collect my medications and She can get confused. My Surgery supplies my medications and colours do change.

With regards generic they are supposed to be the same as the original medication. Someties the patient will find a dose is not the same and are not getting the same amount of benefit. Some surgeries will panda to the patient and supply the original medication other will try and stick with the generic. As they are cheaper and are the same.

Personally I have no problem with that, although everyone else has diferent feelings about these changes

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.