Sertraline success for the second time!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone,

For those of you who haven't followed my posts this has been my second time on sertraline and I can finally 13 weeks later say it has worked again 😃

Check out my first success story post for more detailed information:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/13-weeks-on-sertraline-my-success-story--540558

both times I have been on this medication it has taken 12-13 weeks to feel better. I was off work for 3 months and have now gone back and have been fine.

Doctors will say 6-8 weeks but with my experiences I still felt awful then. Please try and stick with it and perservere it is so worth it.

If anyone has any questions i will reply below xx

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Kate, this fills me with hope. I have been taking Sertraline now for 3 weeks, started on 25mg and i'm now taking 50mg. My mood has been slightly better but my eyes and head have been really sore, did you experience this? I have also been having so many dreams at night, not nightmares but just the most random dreams ever

Thank you for posting this!

• Posted

Amanda its great that you are able to sleep! I've read that vivid dreams can be a side effect in addition to headaches.

• Posted

definitely, i have the most vivid dreams. they are mostly pretty normal scenarios, just very vivid. i also find that i move round more in my sleep, sometimes waking with aching legs, neck and/or arms.

there are so many side effects you will experience especially in the first couple of months including head and eye pain.

you are very early on so keep going you can do it! x

• Edited

i’m so disappointed. My daughter just started seeing a therapist for the first time, she told her that if she had not had any improvement from the sertraline and seven weeks that means it’s not working. I really want her to hang in there until 12 weeks but I’m worried she may get talked into going off of it. I told her I kept reading that it can take up to 12 weeks, but she said the therapist didn’t agree with that. I will be interested to see what the psychiatrist says. The therapist is not the one prescribing. I just hate the thought of her having to take all this time to taper off what she is on, and start all over again with something else. I hope it’s not just wishful thinking on my part but I did see a difference in her mood at 5 1/2 weeks, for almost a whole week which I took as a good sign.

• Posted

Sandi she was starting to see better days...Thats a good sign...Its normal to feel like your back stepping with a dose increase...she probably should have stayed with the 50 mgs for at least 8 weeks before increasing to 75 or 100 mgs...But shes on 100 mgs now...she needs to stay there for at least 8-12 weeks no matter what her therapist says....give the medication a chance to work without messing with the dose anymore..trust us, we have been there! you can NOT rush this medication, it’s building new receptors in the brain to accommodate the flood of serotonin levels that is Zoloft provides...bottom line, keep her at her dose, keep her relaxed stress free as possible, if she can stay home even better, her brain is healing, allow it to heal... Also, i see a lot of doctors wanting to increase right away when its not always necessary when if the individual would have just waited some more weeks they have gotten the relief they were looking for....for most people every increase brings the side effects back.....i know its difficult but our best advice for your daughter is BE PATIENT

• Edited

totally agree with christine. the therapist has read in a book that it takes 6 weeks so is offering advice based on that when he/she hasn't a clue. my doctor told me to jump from 100mg to 200mg...doctors dont even have a clue and it actually makes me so angry. please keep making her take it, show her all the messages from here. at the end of the day we have all been through it on here and seen people improve after 3/4/5 months, i bet the therapist has never taken sertraline.

• Posted

OK. I need to ask a question, please. Im on day 6 of new level of Lustral/sertaline and while i had banging headache, sick stomach, but not sick, today my anxiety is really bad and my jelly legs are back, is this normal? Im re reading everything but just thought, if you dont mind, I would ask? I also am amazed I can not remember what it was like when I had my dose upped the last time, come to think of it, maybe it is as well with the way I am feeling yesterday afternoon and all day today - lol. T'u x

• Posted

Thank you both Kate and Christine - I am going to follow my gut. She meets with a new psychiatrist on Wednesday. I am going to arm her with info re: changes/improvements that friends and family noticed, and when, and I hope the doc is willing to give it more time before pulling the plug on sertraline. I don't mind if she increases again, I don't think that's such a bad strategy - is it? She has never had side effects from it, even with increases, except for occasional night sweats. She tolerates it fine. She went to 100 mg on Oct. 9 and by the 15th she was having a good week - HOWEVER that coincided with getting a job offer and she admitted she thought that was going to "fix everything" so maybe that was it? And not the meds helping? So hard to know. Following week was job setback, not being able to work, so back down, and still feeling the effects of that this week. But I still think she should give it the full 12-13 week trial and I hope the doc agrees.

• Posted

i wouldn't have her increase anymore until you give this current dose of 100 mgs at least 8-12 weeks plus....even if her doctor tells you to increase to 200 mgs doesnt mean you have to do it...You can simply state that you want to give the current dose adequate time before you consider increasing. Give the medication time to work...there are no shortcuts here.

• Posted

Thanks, Christine - she met with a new psychiatrist today and YAY, he did NOT suggest changing or increasing her meds. I really hope she will see better days in the next 4 weeks. Onward and upwards...

• Posted

Thats perfect....now she just has to heal...allow the medication to do it job...just be patient. I promise she will get better.

• Posted

hi kate , i was on sertraline 100 mg for 3 yrs due to anxiety and deporession i got better then i stopped for 2 months and im back on it now 50 mg as anxiety hits me again . what i feel is that i panic when i think about my case and if i will be ok again , that what brings my panic and non motivation or enjoy anything anymore . the same exact thing that happened to me before . i think its obssessive thinking that i wont be able to be happy again and starts my panic with heart racing and stomach butterflies and scary feeling .

i have 4 kids i need to get back to myself again .

thanks

• Edited

hi christine , this is the second time for me on sertraline im on 50mg as a start but i have the same instuctive thoughts that i will not sleep and that makes me panic and start shaking and all the symptoms of the panic attack. its my 3 rd day on 50 mg . i am so tired and i want to get back to myself . plz any advice .

• Edited

Hello, did your doctor give you a benzo to get you thru the adjustment period? Thats always helpful. If the Zoloft helped you before then know it will help you again. This is my third time. You just have to be patient and keep yourself busy..i know its not easy but its all you can do. I read books and watched a lot of positive movies and shows. I'm going on 14 weeks Saturday and im feeling A LOT better but im not completely 100% yet...Zoloft is a progressive drug so i know i will get there. I started journaling its theraputic and i prayed A LOT, its amazing what prayer does. You will get thru this, its worth it.

• Posted

doc gave me ativan . whenever i think of sleep i start panicking same exact feelings and thought that happend at the very first time 3 yrs back

• Posted

Hi Dodo,

the answer to your question is yes it will work again. i was the same and i panicked thinking it wouldnt work a second time but it has. i am also on my 14th week and i am 90% back to normal. i would say it has taken a bit longer the second time to work. keep going you can do it! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.