Sertraline to Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

My wife has been on SERTRALINE 100mg for over 4 months and it has been a success regarding her anxiety apart from the occasional night sweats and vivid dreams.

As a result her doctor has changed her medication to Citalopram 20mg

anyone out there with similar experience or things to be concerned about with this new drug?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was on citalapram for 6 months but had to come off it as it made my anxiety and depression a lot worse I have been on sertraline now for w years and never felt better hope this helps

• Posted

I would question this with your doctor or maybe get a second opinion. There's a couple of things that just seem strange to me having been on both Sertraline and Citalopram. If Sertraline 100mg is working for your wife, I don't understand why the doctor would change it. One of the things I was told when I first started is that it could take about 6 months to feel the full effects, and then that i would have to keep taking them at least for another couple of months once the anxiety was better before slowly tapering down off of the meds completely.

To just stop taking Sertraline and switch to another med is something I have never heard of before, everyone I have ever spoken too has said that they should be stopped slowly, very slowly in some cases as stopping completely straight away can cause terrible side effects and a recurrence of the anxiety.

I took 20mg Citalopram before Sertraline and they did nothing for me. To switch from one medication that is working to something else just seems completely counter intuitive to me.

• Posted

i also would question the doctors decision. I have been on sertraline for 4 months as well at 100mg.

I still have vivid dreams and occasional tingling but it has worked wonders for my anxiety and panic disorder.

Theres no way I would let my doctor switch me to something else after perservering with the side effects for weeks until sertraline kicked in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.