Sertraline to Escitalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been on Sertraline for 4 weeks now, side effects subsided a bit a couple of weeks ago but then after trying to increase to 50mg got bad side effects so have gone back down to 25mg, but still having bad side effects over a week later. Especially nausea, early morning anxiety, not able to eat, which is making me dizzy and shaky and effecting Work.  Dr said maybe sertraline isn’t agreeing with me, should be getting better by now and i have a prescription for escitalopram. Has anyone had success changing and were side effects better/less? Thank you, so stuck on what to do! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I can really relate to this however my message would be to hang in there. The mistake I made was to up the dose too quick. So I would get all the side effects you mentioned (especially the anxiety) so in response I would increase the amount. My  thinking was gat I mustn’t be at the right dose because my anxiety was still bad. In fact I think the increase of anxiety was a side effect. Looking back I just don’t think I gave it long enough to work. On my current dose I was still experiencing bad side effects towards the end of week 5 but then all of a sudden I felt much much better. Now no real side effects at all to speak.  By week 4 I seriously though it wast going to work but then it did. Hope that helps.

Paul

• Posted

Thanks Paul, what dose are you on? I changed from Sertraline 25mg to Escitalopram 10mg last night. Still feel very queasy, hoping i don’t get bad side effects from changing over... 
  • Posted

Hi Chev,

Yeah, unfortunately, taking meds like these is trial and error and adaptation. I had those exact same symptoms. It sucks big time. If you haven't been feeling any improvement, Sert may not be for you.

I gave myself 6 weeks, after that period, my doctor switched me off Sert. I'm on Remeron now and for me, it works. But I had to dose down from my 75mg., to 50mg., and then 25,mg. while I was introducing Remeron.

But again, I had side effects while coming off. It went on for about a week.

Hang in there! There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Hugo

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback Hugo, glad you found something that works. Those side effects we have experienced are horrible, hope i don’t get more switched from Sert 25mg to Escitalopram 10mg last night. Still feeling nauseous but was really nauseous yesterday 
  • Posted

How are you feeling chev
    • Posted

Much better the last couple of days thanks, not sure if that’s because it’s the weekend though. Even managed to go to a wedding yesterday. Day three of Escitalopram and so far so good. Hope it stays this way. How are you doing? 
    • Posted

Day 17 of setraline and still struggling feeling sick dodgy stomach and decreased energy but I have found out that I been diagnosed with an over active thyroid so I wonder if that's causing my anxiety or is that just to add to it ....glad your new meds are helping

• Posted

I’m 150 mg of sertraline. I think it might have worked on a lower dose if I had given each dose more time. But it’s working now so I am gonna stick where I am. Best of luck with the new medication I’m sure you will find the right one for you
    • Posted

Thank you Paul, glad it’s working for you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.