Sertraline to Escitalopram Help

Posted , 8 users are following.

After 3 months of anxiety hell on Sertraline my GP is switching me to Escitalopram. I've reduced to 50mgs Sertraline over 2 weeks and am starting on Escitalopram 5mgs tomorrow. I take Sertraline at night. Should I take Escitalopram tomorrow morning or the morning after?plus has anyone found relief with Escitalopram?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you had such a bad 3 months. What symptoms did you have o Sertraline?

There is a DNA test that the doc can do to see what medication will work best for your body. I was not aware of this test until a few weeks ago and I take Sertraline and that medication came back good for my body. There are 5 genotypes and they can see what medications will work for yours. If the new meds doesn't work you can ask for this test. They just swab your cheeks. I do hope your new med works for you.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. My side effects have been extreme anxiety, suicidal thoughts and deep depression. BUT. my GP had switched me cold turkey from Citalopram to Sertraline and I'm not sure if these were side effects or just that they haven't worked for me???

The DNA test sounds interesting. I will keep it in mind if Escitalopram doesn't work. Thanks again.

• Posted

I had a very bad reaction to that after three days made me very disoriented and was up all nite sleepless with a closing throat hot and cold sweats and dizzyness but i dont do well an alot of meds .
    • Posted

I have been on 10 mg of lexapro since Nov. Only side affect I had was it made me tired. So I take it at night.. Been a good med so far
    • Posted

That's good to hear Tonya. Thanks for replying. I'm glad it's working for you.
    • Posted

Your welcome.. I hope it works for you hun.. I took ativan as needed also to get me thru the lexapro cause I'm scared of new meds as well.. But I know you will do great. Keep me posted on how its working..
  • Posted

I too am switching Tracy.  I am taking 50 of zoloft and starting by adding 5 lexapro.  Then I go down to 25 zoloft for a few days and stop.  I know 5 mg of lexapro is not goingto keep the panic at bay.

I suffered on the Zoloft especially with my stomach, bowels and constant crying.  Also iit didn't do that much to stop the panic.  Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue, I've just been reading your post from a while back. I'm suffering the most awful side effects from zoloft. Constant stomach upset, cramps, sickness and headaches. How did it go with the change to

Lexapro? Any advice?

Hope you are well now.

Best wishes

Jane

• Posted

Hi Tracy, just wondering how you went changing from Sertraline to Escitalopram? I’m getting bad nausea, anxiety and not able to eat on Sertraline after 4 weeks. Wondering if Escitalopram will be better or if my Sertraline dose of 25mg is too low and it’s my anxiety causing this 
    • Posted

Just adding my experience of seetraline was the same, nausea all day and terrible anxiety. Had to stop.  Dr didnt give me escitalopram but i would,like to,know how you get on with it.  I have tried duloxetine and others but still not completely better.  I would,like,to try escitalopram so i am hopeful,for you.

strange thing this anxiety i have just wont go down, its there when i wake like an agitation.  It seems i am sensitive to meds.

wishing you luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.