Sertraline to lexapro

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello...im about to start lexapro (tapering from 50mg sertraline now). sertraline helped me but seemed to stop working (i was only on it for 12 weeks) and also side effects were bad -exhausted and sexual side effects too:/ i wonder has anyone changed over and what your experience was? im scared that this will be worse and also scared nothing will ever help. im anxious and depressed

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HEY Just wanted to let you know that I've been on lexapro for just over a year. Sexual side effects are a problem for me too. Sleeplessness also happens for the first couple weeks. But it will get better with time. You have to give the medication time to work and adjust to your mind. Standard is at least 6 months. Just be patient and trust it will work. GOD BLESS

• Posted

Lexapro is way better than setraline from my experience, but you may have to be very patient for the full effect of the drug to kick in.

If you usually have side effects with meds, you may want to slowly increase your doses, say from 5mg to 7.5mg then 10mg, and so on, this was how i was able to manage the side effect of the lexapro, now im very stable on this drug (10mg) but i really endured its side effect and anticipated the gain in all the discomfort.

good luck!

• Posted

Hey, thanks! I am on day 3 now and no side effects so far really! Im on 10mg, seeing docs in couple weeks to see how I am doing. So far, such a different experience than sert which was just awful, frankly! I generally tolerate things well so fingers crossed Lexapro will be good for me ! May I ask have you anxiety as your main issue?

• Posted

Actually, I did have a lot of trouble getting to sleep last night but my anxiety is v bad at moment so think it's that rather than the drug

• Posted

HEY I had good luck on zoloft too for almost a year and it stopped working. I was 100mg but my anxiety broke through. So I've been on Lexapro for over one year from 7.5 to 22.5 right now. Still have depression issues but anxiety has gotten better. Fatigue is an issue to tired all the time. Sexual side effects yes just have no drive. I'm sick right now and that makes it even worse. Yet I never miss a day of work I just keep plugging along. I some day this will be a thing in my past. God bless

• Posted

Yeah, that's good I guess. I never miss work either. People who are not close to me probably think I am fine, maybe a bit weird, scatty, or moody but I doubt they suspect I am crippled with anxiety everyday. I dont think those closest fully get it either but how could you if you dont feel that way. I feel bad for them trying to understand it but also sad and isolated:( I am really tired today but I think it's the anxiety wearing me out rather than a side effect of the drug. I slept ok too last night too. Sexual side effects are the worst, again i am so anxious ive no idea if that's a problem on this yet. Really hope this will be a thing of the past too. I have a family member that takes lexapro for years and it has transformed them with zero side effects. Hoping for same miracle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.