Sertraline to Venlafaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been advised to change meds from sertraline to Venlafaxine due to having so many side effects and not feeling they work for me. What are everyone's experiences being on them as a bit worried about changing meds but can't go through these side effects for so long.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have just been advised to do the same at the moment I have some horrid withdrawals from reducing my sertraline but nowhere near as bad as the side effects. I am worried about starting the new one as well but sometimes we just have to give it a go and hope for the best. I don't start them until late next week. If you start before that good luck I hope they work for you

• Posted

Ah glad I am not the only one, I am worried too that I am going to get withdrawal symptoms but I suppose it can't be as bad as what I've been going through. I took my last sertraline yesterday and start taking the Venlafaxine Saturday so I ekll keep u posted of how I go, keep messaging me too so we can help each other out. What mg of sertraline are u taking? X
    • Posted

Right now am on 50mg every other day but was on 150mg. I keep getting this really weird brain zapping feeling on the days I don't take them but the doc says that's just my brain adjusting lol. I will do. I hope everything goes great for you and u have no withdrawal x
    • Posted

Yeah I know what u mean by the brain zapping feeling, it's bizarre isn't it?

Well I've not taken my tablet this evening and had a bad belly, hoping that's not a withdrawal sign rolleyes

Keep in touch smile xx

• Posted

To right it's horrid. Ur tummy might be due to worry do just take deep breaths it will be over soon xx
    • Posted

Brain zappng occurs whenever you miss a dose of Venlafaxine.
  • Posted

I went from Sertraline to Venlafaxine.  I did not have many withdrawals from the Sertraline.  You will start all over again with the starting symptoms with the Venlafaxine, like starting an anti depressant anew.  Should settle in a few weeks. 

Venlafaxine worked really well for me,but it is an absolute horror to withdraw from.  So hopefully you will be able to stay on it.  I took it for 9 years and it was best anti depressant I took.  Only side effects for me was weight gain and indigestion and heartburn.  But we all react different to different drugs.  What works for one does not always work for another, and side effects may be different.

Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Yeah that's that i'm worried about the side effects of the new one sad especially weight gain as I've lost 2 stone and don't wanna put it back on.

hopefully it'll work for me as well as it did for you. I've got two weeks off work to help adjust to the new one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.