Sertraline: what's supposed to be happening?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi smile

I've been taking Sertraline 50mg for approx. 3 months now and at first i did notice some effects, mostly emotional numbing. I actively avoided reading the effects people undergo when taking Sertraline mainly to stop myself from 'creating' these effects and just let the drug run its course and whatever happens, happens. I've started to notice that my emotions have become eratic and somewhat unstable and it's worrying me that it's not working anymore. Most of the side effects have dissapeared except from random spells of extreme tiredness and a noticeble reduction in my sex drive. This being said, i still have great difficulty in deciding how i feel. i honestly cant tell. I just thought i'd post this and reach out to others who are on the same Sertraline mg and see if anyone else feels the same and if its normal. 

-Steffan

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am the same. I do feel emotionless sometimes. I noticed when I was watching a film where usually I'd be crying my eyes out and there was nothing. I also sometimes think that I should be really excited about somethings but I just have a normal feeling all the time. Either was it beats feeling fear all the time. My sex drive has also reduced but I am trying not to let it effect my relationship. Now its a case of...when I'm in the mood...do it, whatever time of day. Just in case I can't be arsed later.
  • Posted

I've been on this med for about 5 months I upped the dose and stuck it out for 5 weeks (100mg) I felt worse high anxiety and low mood so I went back to 50mg I've felt the emotional numbness and just don't feel myself anymore I think I've given this med enough time with no joy so I decided 8 days ago to go down to 25mg because I don't think this meds right for me from my experience with this med it just try's to cover things up and that not what I want I want to sort the problem out not cover it up for it to come and hit me later have you tried cbt ? I'm having it and we're just starting to get to the bottom of the problem
    • Posted

I'm currently waiting on a response from Healthy Minds, about the next step to take which i have a feeling will be CBT. its just a waiting game right now to be honest, but im glad what im experiences is to be expected. thank you so much for your replies! 
    • Posted

No problem

Are you having negative thoughts?

Bad dreams ?

• Posted

Most of the day yeah, but nothing out of the usual to be honest. 

And bad dreams not so much really, just difficulty getting to sleep which is believe Sertraline doesnt help too much in that area haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.