Sertraline withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I came off sertraline 5 weeks ago and have had an abundance of symptoms.. light headed, dizziness, tingly fingers and feet, jittery, panic attacks. Most of which have come and gone! At the moment I'm still feeling anxious and now I have aches all over my body. Has anyone experienced this and is it normal to still have withdrawal symptoms after so long? Starts to make me think its something else which doesnt helps my anxiety!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Are all these symptom's the reason you began meds?.They will come back when you stop. 

• Posted

Coming off some drugs takes three to six months if they are drugs that should be tapered off. I looked up sertraline. It is not advised to go off cold turkey. Should be tapered down over two or three months. You are experiencing cold turkey effects, Rachhj.
  • Posted

I did as the Dr advised (although this seems a bit fast) I tapered down over 2 weeks. I had a lot of these symptoms before yes but although I expected withdrawal symptoms I perhaps didn't think they'd last this long and would have passed by now :-(

• Posted

You can always google (I rarely recommend google) info. on the drug, tapering time, effect of coming down fast, etc.

The effects will pass, but not as fast as you may want. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you.

The gp said should not really be having side effects after two weeks. This seems to be a complete lie!!

• Posted

They told me the same thing after telling me to go cold turkey off a beta blocker. Unfortunately, many doctors haven't a clue how to handle anxiety or its medications.

• Posted

I totally agree. Have you had a lot of side effects?
    • Posted

Coming off that beta blocker cold turkey actually was what threw me into this anxiety....so here I am, still having some side effects. Its much better now. My new doctor put me on the right anti anxiety meds for me immediatly.
  • Posted

rachhj

It sounds like you are still suffering Anxiety, Did you come of your medication by yourself or did your GP withdraw you slowly ?.

Breathing exersises and relaxation techniques can help. Mindulness is the buzz technique at this time.

Your GP May be able to aquire a tape for relaxation or you can purchase a book on the internet

BOB

• Posted

Thanks bob. I tapered down over two weeks as the gp suggested. I'm now thinking that was far too fast. He seemed to think that I'd have very little side effects coming off them. Reading up since this does not seem the case!

• Posted

Medications can effect different people in different ways.

as do contraindications

BOB

• Posted

Many doctors tell us to taper too fast. I was told just to stop a med that should have been a long taper. I did as the doctor said, and am still dealing with the effects four monthe later.
    • Posted

Many of them seem to have very little knowledge of anti depressants!!
    • Posted

Exactly, Honey.Most have very little knowledge of anxiety.  I have learned the hard way to check whatever new drug I take. My current doctor is older and very exerienced, so knows a lot more than my first doctor who told me to go cold turkey.

A psychiatrist is really the best bet with anxiety, especially at the beginning. This is their field, and being medical doctors, too, can prescribe and direct meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.